Search the collections
Pillbox Hat - Gunner, Victorian Horse Artillery, 1889-1897 Reg. No: ST 42020
- A dark blue pillbox hat with red band and gold insignia. Worn by a gunner in the Victorian Horse Artillery.
According to the Australian War Memorial, the Victorian Horse Artillery was formed as the Nordenfelt (Rupertswood) battery at Sunbury in 1884, and renamed the Victorian Horse Artillery in 1889. It was divided into two batteries: Werribee park, run by the Chirnside family, and Rupertswood, run by the Clarke family. Werribee was disbanded in 1893; Rupertswood was disbanded in 1897.
- Pillbox hat. Dark blue, with a red band around edge. Gold insignia on front (circular, with 'tail' above), and a gold braid button on the centre of the crown. Chin strap. Red quilted lining.
- Acquisition Information:
- Cultural Gifts Donation from Major Edward (Ted) Millett, 1994
|Dimensions:||6.9 cm (Height), 15.4 cm (Width)|
|Tagged with:||victorian volunteer forces, military uniforms australian|
|Themes this item is part of:||Victorian Colonial Military, 1854-1901, Victorian Colonial Military, 1854-1901, Clothing & Textiles Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection, Victorian Artillery (AKA Royal Victorian Volunteer Artillery Regiment or Permanent Artillery Corps)|
|Primary Classification:||MILITARY HISTORY|
|User:||Victorian Horse Artillery, Victoria, Australia, 1889-1897|
|References:||Information on the Victorian Horse Artillery from the Australian War Memorial web site http://cas.awm.gov.au/heraldry/REL/18083.002, 23/6/2009|
This item is part of the following themes: