Search the collections
Where is it from?
- A Manufacturer Hartford, United States
Similar items over time
Revolver - Colt Frontier, 1890 Reg. No: ST 039076
- Colt 1878 Double Action Frontier centrefire revolver, cal. .476 in. Eley, rifled round barrel 140 mm (5 1/2 inch) long with right hand side rod ejector.
Made by Colt's Patent Fire Arms Manufacturing Co, Hartford, Connecticut. Serial number 25004, 1890.
Shipped by Colt's to Colt's London Agency, 20 March 1890; see Colt Archive Properties authentication letter, dated 22 March 2007.
Scratched into inside of R.H. grip is 'FJH' and 'H V HITCH', the previous owners of the revolver.
- Six chambered long fluted cylinder, solid steel frame, steel rounded trigger guard, steel back strap, all metal components with good original blueing with light pitting, cylinder colour worn with light pitting, black two-piece finely chequered hard-rubber grips with rampant Colt logo in oval embossed on both sides. Bladed front sight, loading gate on right hand side. One-line Colt address stamped on barrel. British proofmarks stamped on cylinder and under barrel at cylinder end.
- Statement Of Significance:
- The Colt 1878 Double Action (DA) Frontier and Army models followed the first DA models, the Lightning (cal. .38in.) and Thunderer (cal. .41in.). The model was produced in a range of calibres, including .45 Colt, .44-40 W.C.F., .38-40 W.C.F., .32-20 W.C.F., in addition to three popular English sizes, .450, .455 and .476. Compared to the smaller Lightning and Thunderer, the Frontier was a substantial larger revolver. Production of the model ran from 1878 to 1905 with a total of 51,210 revolvers being made. It was in some respects the larger brother of the Single Action Army (1873), hence it sometimes being referred to as the Double Action Army, or Frontier and Army model. A variation was produced in 1902 often known as the Philippine or Alaskan model with an enlarger trigger guard to allow the use of either two fingers or one finger in a thick glove, thus the allusions to its use in Alaska.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Colonel Marcus Hitch
|Dimensions:||14.30 cm (Height), 4.00 cm (Width), 26.40 cm (Length)|
|Dimension Comment:||Barrel length 14.00cm (5 1/2 in)|
|Themes this item is part of:||Colt Firearms in Colonial Victoria, 1850-1900, Arms Collection, Samuel Colt, Gunmaker (1814-1862), Colt's Patent Fire Arms Manufacturing Co., Gunmakers, Hartford, Connecticut, USA|
|Primary Classification:||ARMS & ARMOUR|
|Inscriptions:||Stamped on barrel: COLT'S PT. F.A. MFG. CO. HARTFORD CT. U.S.A. DEPOT 14 PALL MALL LONDON
Stamped on cylinder with British proof marks
Stamped on barrel with British proof marks
Stamped on LH. side of barrel. 476-CAL.
Stamped beneath L.H. grip is number 391. Scratched into inside of R.H. grip is 'FJH' and 'H V HITCH'.
Serial No. -
|Model Name/Number:||1878 Double Action (DA) Frontier|
|Manufacturer:||Colt's Patent Fire Arms Manufacturing Co, Hartford, Connecticut, United States of America, 1890|
|Past Owner:||H Hitch|