Search the collections
Pistol - Colt Model 1903 Pocket, Boxed, 1917 Reg. No: ST 025353
- Colt Pocket Model 1903 automatic pistol, concealed hammer model, 3rd type, cal. .32 in., rifled round barrel 90 mm (3 3/4 in.) long without barrel bushing encased in slide, bladed front sight. This item includes the pistol's original cardboard box, with Colt trade label attached to inside lid and box bottom.
Made by Colt's Patent Fire Arms Manufacturing Co, Hartford, Connecticut, serial number 212513, 1917.
This pistol was retailed by the Melbourne gun dealership, Alcock & Pierce, Melbourne.
- Eight shot magazine located in butt, chequered ebonite grips with Colt rampant horse logo and the word 'COLT' framed betwen two horizontal lines.
Good original blueing retained on all metal components, with expected wear to front of slide.
- Statement Of Significance:
- The 1903 Pocket model was the first of Colt's concealed hammer, or hammerless, pistols. Several new features appeared on this model, including the automatic safety at the rear of the grip which prevented the trigger being depressed unless the safety is compressed. Likewise, the model featured a 'slide lock' on the L.H.side of the frame and slide, allowing the slide to be locked in place when the hammer was cocked. The model was produced in three sub-types, the first with a 4 in. barrel with bushings; the second with a reduced 3 3/4 in. barrel with bushing and third type - as per this item - with a 3 3/4 in barrel without bushings. The serial number range for this third type is 105,050 to 572,215 when the model ceased production in 1945.
- Acquisition Information:
- Transfer from Victoria Police Force, 1963
|Dimensions:||11.40 cm (Height), 2.60 cm (Width), 17.00 cm (Length)|
|Dimension Comment:||Barrel length: 9.00cm (3 3/4 in.)|
|Tagged with:||pistols american, innovation design|
|Themes this item is part of:||Arms Collection, Samuel Colt, Gunmaker (1814-1862), Colt Firearms in Colonial Victoria, 1850-1900, Colt's Patent Fire Arms Manufacturing Co., Gunmakers, Hartford, Connecticut, USA|
|Primary Classification:||ARMS & ARMOUR|
|Inscriptions:||Stamped on slide L.H.side: COLT'S PT.F.A. MFG CO/ HARTFORD. CT. U.S.A.
Stamped on slide L.H.side: PATENTED/ APR. 20. 1897. DEC. 22. 1903
Stamped on slide R.H.side: COLT AUTOMATIC/ CALIBRE 32 RIMLESS SMOKELESS
Stamped on frame L.H.side below slide: 212513
Stamped on triggerguard L.H.side: 'VP' in triangle (Verified Proof); E
Engraved in slide L.H.side ' ALCOCK & PIERCE, MELBOURNE'
|Model Name/Number:||1903 Hammerless 32 Pocket|
|Manufacturer:||Colt's Patent Fire Arms Manufacturing Co, Hartford, Connecticut, United States of America, 1917|
|Retailer:||Alcock & Pierce, Gunmakers & Importers, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, circa 1917|