Search the collections
This item is on display at Melbourne Museum
Where is it from?
- A Modelmaker Williamstown, Australia
Similar items over time
Sailing Ship Model - Top Sail Schooner Reg. No: ST 015418
- Schooner model with topsail rig. Made by Wemyss Thomson of Williamstown. Scale unknown. Probably represents the general type of vessel rather than a particular vessel. This is an example of a square-rigged schooner, or top-sail schooner, or coasting schooner. This model was built about 1864. This type of schooner were known as 'Fruiters' and were engaged in the fruit trade from the Azores, Italy, Malta and other orange-growing countries to London before steam ships. In the 1850s as many as 300 were employed in this trade and were very fast under canvas. This model is typical of this class of schooner, probably represents a vessel of between 89.5 and 101 tonnes register with a length of 24 to 27 metres, width of about 6 metres and a depth of about 3 metres. A top sail schooner differs from a fore-and-aft schooner in carrying square sails at the foremast.
The model is believed to have been exhibited by the builder at the 1866 Melbourne Intercolonial Exhibition where it won second prize according to the donor's nephew. The Museum also holds the certificate awarded to Wemyss Thomson by the Exhibition. It was donated to the Museum in 1924.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Mr George Thomson, 1924
|Dimensions:||435 mm (Height), 260 mm (Width), 630 mm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||exhibitions melbourne intercolonial australasian 1866-1867, fruits, modelmaking, sailing vessels, scale models, schooners, ship models|
|Themes this item is part of:||Public Life & Institutions Collection, Transport Collection|
|On Display at:||Melbourne Museum|
|Primary Classification:||WATER TRANSPORT|
|Secondary Classification:||Wind Power - Sailing Vessels|
|Tertiary Classification:||model schooners|
|Modelmaker:||Mr Wemyss Thomson, Williamstown, Victoria, Australia, circa 1864|
|Place & Date Used:||Exhibition: 1866 Intercolonial, Melbourne, Australia, 1866|