Where is it from?

Association locations map

Tags

Add your own tags:
Separate multiple tags using a comma

Similar items over time

Motor Buggy - Haines & Grut, Melbourne, 1909 Object Reg. No: ST 036746

Summary:
Four-wheeled motor buggy with internal combustion engine, made by the Haines & Grut Motor Buggy Company Pty Ltd, at 20 A'Beckett Street, Melbourne in 1908-1909. One of five such buggies built by Thomas Haines and Peter Grut although only two vehicles were completed by the time the firm was wound up and this vehicle along with the contents of the works were sold at auction in May 1909. This vehicle is believed to be the sole surviving example and is fitted with a water-cooled, two-cylinder 10 horsepower engine, castings for which were made by John Danks & Son, Pty Ltd. Axles were made by J. Royal & Co, Carlton, springs by Henderson's Federal Spring Works, Melbourne, hickory wheels from the U.S.A. and carburettors from France. The retail price was about 160 Pounds.

Haines & Grut buggies were the first of this type to be made in Australia and were promoted as being more reliable as they did not use pneumatic tyres and "the high wheels, which give a good clearance from the road, obviate the dust nuisance and make the steering of the Buggy simple and easy...It does not compete with the touring car, speedster, or sport car of any kind: It is a run-about, a utility car; a means of going anywhere with no trouble and slight expense."

The Museum purchased this vehicle at auction in 1986. It had previously been owned by Mr Arthur Parker of Colac and Mr T.S Jeremiah until 1958.
Discipline: Technology
Dimensions: 1665 mm (Height), 1820 mm (Width), 2810 mm (Length)

More information

Tagged with: motor buggies, internal combustion engines, j. royal co
Themes this item is part of: Engineering Collection, Transport Collection
Primary Classification: ROAD TRANSPORT
Secondary Classification: Motor Vehicles
Tertiary Classification: motor cars
Original Owner: Mr Arthur Parker, Colac, Victoria, Australia

Previous Owner, Estate of Late Arthur Parker. Owned by T.S. Jeremiah, from World War II until 1958.
Past Owner: Haines & Grut Motor Buggy Co, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, circa 1909

Previous Owner, Estate of Late Arthur Parker. Owned by T.S. Jeremiah, from World War II until 1958.
Past Owner: T. Jeremiah, Victoria, Australia

Previous Owner, Estate of Late Arthur Parker. Owned by T.S. Jeremiah, from World War II until 1958.

Add your comment

  • Museum Victoria does not provide valuations, for more information please visit the valuation infosheet
  • Please note that Museum Victoria staff will not normally respond to comments posted on our website.

Themes

This item is part of the following themes:

Yes No