Search the collections
Turret Clock - James Murray, National Model & Training School, Melbourne, 1854 Reg. No: ST 019014
- Turret clock from the National Model & Training School, East Melbourne. Made by James Murray, Melbourne and London. Consists of movement and clock face.
The National Model & Training School was established on the northeast corner of Spring and Albert Streets, Melbourne in 1854. It became Victoria's first secondary school in 1905, and moved to South Yarra in 1927, renamed Melbourne Boy's High School. The building was demolished in 1933 to make way for the College of Surgeons in 1935.
James Murray & Co was a London clockmaking firm with a Melbourne office from 1861.
- Movement in wooden box, clock face on metal stand, weights and box of parts.
Weight driven; anchor escapement.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Victoria: Education Victoria, 1933
|Tagged with:||schools, striking clocks, turret clocks|
|Themes this item is part of:||Horology Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection, Science & Measurement Collection|
|Inscriptions:||Dial marked 'James Murray, G. Bourke St, Melbourne'.|
|Maker:||Mr James Murray, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1854|
|User:||National Model & Training School, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1854|