Search the collections
This item is on display at Melbourne Museum
Where is it from?
- A Collector Kolkata, India
Blunderbuss - British, East India Company, 1809 Reg. No: ST 005912
- British service blunderbuss, bellmouth. Lock marks indicate weapon was once in service of the Honourable East India Company, 1809.
One of a collection of weapons seized from mutineers during the Indian Mutiny (1857-1859), and subsequently donated to the Melbourne Public Library in 1860 by Earl Charles Canning, Governor-General of India.
- Round cal. 39 mm. at muzzle, smooth bore barrel 313 mm. long, part round part octagonal. Fully stocked, short shoulder piece chequered at wrist. Two sling swivels, iron ramrod.
- Statement Of Significance:
- This is one of 287 weapons and associated items from the Indian Mutiny (1857-1859), donated to the Melbourne Public Library in 1860 by Earl Charles Canning, Governor-General of India. The weapons had been seized from the Indian mutineers by British troops during the course of the mutiny.
The donation was in response to a suggestion by Redmond Barry, Chairman of Trustees, that a letter be sent to Sir Henry Barkly, Governor of Victoria, requesting him to write to the Governor-General of India. The letter to Barkly, dated 9 May 1859, noted that 'such objects placed in the Museum attached to the Library would afford interesting illustration of oriental national customs and peculiarities.'
The weapons were also war booty, signifying the relief of Victorians that their fellow colonists in India were once more safe. Many Victorian colonists (including Barry) had relatives in the British army and administration in India, had anxiously followed the bulletins of the Indian Mutiny in the newspapers, and raised funds locally to aid the cause. Some of the weapons were displayed in the main stairwell of the Library, alongside Australian Aboriginal weapons. Here they became symbols of the defeat of local peoples as the British Empire expanded around the globe.
The collection was subsequently transferred to the National Gallery of Victoria, and thence in parts to the Industrial & Technological Museum during the early decades of the twentieth century. At each stage in its history, the collection has been gradually reduced in size through items being presented or disposed of.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation & Subsequent Transfer from National Gallery of Victoria (NGV), 1860
|Tagged with:||blunderbusses, rifles muskets british, rifles muskets military, semi automatic pistols|
|Themes this item is part of:||Arms Collection, Canning Indian Mutiny Collection, Indian Mutiny, 1857-1859|
|On Display at:||Melbourne Museum|
|Primary Classification:||ARMS & ARMOUR|
|Inscriptions:||Stamped on lock plate "Crown 3 lion rampant 1809".|
|Place & Date Used:||India, 1809-1859|
|User:||East India Company, India, 1809|
|Collector:||Earl Charles Canning, Calcutta, India, 1860
Canning was Governor General of India, 1856-1862.