Search the collections
Sledge - Bertram Armytage, British Antarctic Expedition, 1907-1909 Reg. No: ST 019768
- Ice sledge made to be towed by ponies or dogs. Used on the British Antarctic Expedition, 1907- 1909, led by Ernest Shackleton, by Australian Bertram Armytage, a member of the expedition who was in charge of the ponies. The sledge is made of ash on a hickory frame and the base is made of three ply from a packing case. One piece is marked 'Antarctic Ship Nimrod, Shed 12, South Basin, East India Dock, London E. No. 1779. Dried eggs'. It is part of Museum Victoria's collection of artefacts from the 'Heroic Era' of exploration of Antarctica.
- Long narrow wooden sledge made from ash on a hickory frame with the base made of three ply from a packing case. Leather straps and thick string tie around the frame and there is rope tied at both the front and rear of the sledge.
- Statement Of Significance:
- This is a rare artefact from Shackleton's first Antarctic expedition. Bertram Armytage was the son of a pastoralist family from the Geelong district who had served as a Second Lieutenant in the 6th Dragoon Guards in Boer War before joining this expedition. Armytage never adjusted properly to civilian llife after the expedition and eventually comitted suicide in the Melbourne Club some years later.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Mrs Oscar Armytage, 1932
|Dimensions:||200 mm (Height), 570 mm (Width), 1350 mm (Length)|
|Dimension Comment:||Dimensions of wooden frame only. Length measurement with rope outstretched: 1565mm (75mm at front, 140mm at rear)|
|Tagged with:||antarctic exploration, sledges, making history - antarctic|
|Themes this item is part of:||Antarctica Collection, Science & Measurement Collection, Transport Collection|
|Inscriptions:||On top of the packing case ply:
- MEDICAL / COMFORTS
- BRITISH / ANTARCTIC / EXPEDITION / 1907
On the underside of the packing case ply:
- ANTARCTIC SHIP 'NIMROD' / SHED.12. SOUTH BASIN / EAST INDIA DOCK / LONDON.E. / No 1779 / DRIED EGGS
- PETIT POIS
|User:||Bertram Armytage, Antarctica, 1907-1909|
|Expedition Leader:||Ernest Shackleton, Antarctica, 1907-1909|
Burke, David. Body at the Melbourne Club: Bertram Armytage, Antarctica's Forgotten Man. Wakefield Press, 2009.
ISBN-10: 1862548331 ISBN-13: 9781862548336
Shackleton, E.H. (ed.) Aurora Australis: the British Antarctic Expedition 1907-09. See the MV Library Catalogue for editions held. Library holds original edition printed in Antarctica and bound with packing case marked "Chicken".