Search the collections
Where is it from?
- A Place & Date Made Ballarat, Australia
Stripper Harvester - H.V. McKay, 'Sunshine' Harvester, Ballarat, Victoria, 1906 Reg. No: ST 026349
- The Sunshine Stripper Harvester is famous for combining in one machine the functions of the stripper and winnower. In one operation it could gather and thresh the ripe heads, separate the grain from the chaff and deliver the grain for bagging.
This 'Sunshine' stripper harvester is a Type 'A' model with 5-foot wide comb, serial no: 8193, made at the H. V. McKay's Sunshine Harvester Works, Ballarat, 1906.
- List of Parts: Chain Link
- Statement Of Significance:
- A number of Australians were involved in the development of the stripper harvester. The most important was HV McKay who produced a successful machine in 1884 and subsequently manufactured large numbers as the "Sunshine" stripper harvester. The development of the stripper harvester increased the efficiency of cereal harvesting and helped to establish Australia as a leading cereal producing country.
The great drought of 1902 froze the demand for harvesters. With 200 machines and no crops to harvester or prospect of selling them, McKay was compelled to look outside Australia for an alternative market for his equipment and sent his brother Sam with 50 machines to Argentina. This was the start of a very successful export market that included South America, South Africa, Siberia and the United States. Until the First World War halted trade McKay sold over 10,000 harvesters to South American countries.
The innovative stripper harvester was the basis on which the McKay company became the largest agricultural manufacturing enterprise in the Southern Hemisphere.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from J. Pollard, 1966
|Dimensions:||230 cm (Height), 280 cm (Width), 340 cm (Length)|
|Weight:||1397 kg (Weight)|
|Dimension Comment:||H.V. McKay 1910 Agent's Price List records the wieght of a Type 'A' model 'Sunshine' harvester as 27 cwt 2 qtr 0 lbs = 3,080 lbs = 1397 kg.|
|Tagged with:||agriculture, exports, harvesting equipment, industrial design, innovations, stripper harvesters|
|Themes this item is part of:||Hugh V. McKay, Agricultural Implement & Machinery Manufacturer, Ballarat & Sunshine, Victoria, H.V. McKay Sunshine Collection, Sunshine Stripper Harvester, Sustainable Futures Collection, H.V. McKay Massey Harris Pty Ltd, Agricultural Equipment Manufacturers & Importers, Sunshine, Victoria, The Sunshine Harvester Works, Sunshine, Victoria, Australia, McKay's Brandnames, Origin of the 'Sunshine' Brandname|
|Primary Classification:||AGRICULTURE & RURAL LIFE|
|Secondary Classification:||Crop Management - Harvesting|
|Tertiary Classification:||stripper harvesters|
|Place & Date Made:||H.V. McKay, Ballarat, Victoria, Australia, 1906|
|References:||http://museumvictoria.com.au/sunshine/ viewed 12.05.2008 LDH|
This item is part of the following themes:
- Hugh V. McKay, Agricultural Implement & Machinery Manufacturer, Ballarat & Sunshine, Victoria
- H.V. McKay Sunshine Collection
- Sunshine Stripper Harvester
- Sustainable Futures Collection
- H.V. McKay Massey Harris Pty Ltd, Agricultural Equipment Manufacturers & Importers, Sunshine, Victoria
- The Sunshine Harvester Works, Sunshine, Victoria, Australia
- McKay's Brandnames
- Origin of the 'Sunshine' Brandname