Search the collections
Standard Weights - Imperial, 0.01 Grains to 1 Pound, Troughton & Simms, circa 1865 Reg. No: ST 042518
- Set of standard grain weights, gilt brass and platinum wire weights in wooden box. Made by Troughton & Simms, London, circa 1865.
Used at Melbourne Observatory.
- Gilt brass weights: 1 pound (no. 1373), 2800, 2100, 1400, 1000, 700, 400, 300, 200, 100 grains, each in brass cell.
Platinum wire weights: 40, 30, 20, 10, 4, 3, 2, 1, 0.4, 0.3, 0.2, 0.1, 0.04, 0.03, 0.02, 0.01 grains.
4 ivory lifters and more recent plastic forceps. Extra platinum wire weights in glass tube: 0.04, 0.03, 0.02, 0.01 grains.
- Acquisition Information:
- Transfer from Victoria: Local Government Department Office of Trade Measurement (formerly Weights & Measures Branch), 1994
|Dimensions:||9 cm (Height), 19 cm (Width), 33 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||standard weights measures, weights|
|Themes this item is part of:||Weights & Measures at Melbourne Observatory, Troughton & Simms, Instrument Makers, Melbourne Observatory Collection, Science & Measurement Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection, Positional Astronomy at Melbourne Observatory, Melbourne Observatory & Standard Time in Victoria, Astrographic Catalogue, Transits of Venus, 1874 & 1882, Buildings at Melbourne Observatory, Star Observations & Personal Equation, Meteorology at Melbourne Observatory, 1863-1908, Melbourne Observatory, 1863-1944, Geodetic Survey of Victoria, 1858-1872|
|Primary Classification:||COMMERCE & RETAILING|
|Secondary Classification:||Weights & Measures|
|Tertiary Classification:||standard weights|
|Inscriptions:||Inset panel on lid marked 'Standard Weights, English, Troughton & Simms, London, 619-2'.
Box and small box containing platinum wire weights both stamped 'MCN 4439'.
Paper label on lid with handwritten list of contents.
|Maker:||Troughton & Simms, London, Middlesex, England, Great Britain, circa 1865|
|User:||Melbourne Observatory, South Yarra, Victoria, Australia, circa 1865|
This item is part of the following themes:
- Weights & Measures at Melbourne Observatory
- Troughton & Simms, Instrument Makers
- Melbourne Observatory Collection
- Science & Measurement Collection
- Working Life & Trades Collection
- Positional Astronomy at Melbourne Observatory
- Melbourne Observatory & Standard Time in Victoria
- Astrographic Catalogue
- Transits of Venus, 1874 & 1882
- Buildings at Melbourne Observatory
- Star Observations & Personal Equation
- Meteorology at Melbourne Observatory, 1863-1908
- Melbourne Observatory, 1863-1944
- Geodetic Survey of Victoria, 1858-1872