Search the collections
This item is on display at Melbourne Museum
Similar items over time
Seismograph - Gray-Milne, James White, Glasgow,1887 Reg. No: ST 041451
- Gray-Milne Seismograph, designed by Thomas Gray and John Milne in Tokyo and made by James White in Glasgow, No. 5, 1887.
A seismograph measures earth tremors.
This seismograph was purchased for the Melbourne Observatory in 1888 at a cost of 55 pounds, and erected on the foundation of the north collimator pier in the new transit room for the 8-inch transit telescope.
The seismograph never worked very satisfactorily. Government Astronomer Robert Ellery reported in 1897 that the instrument had only ever recorded one earthquake. See Ellery to Charles Todd, 6 September 1897 [Public Record Office of Victoria series VPRS 775, Vol 7] In 1899 the Observatory purchased a newer design by Milne.
- In wooden case with glass windows. Comprises 3 weights mounted on movable arms which correspond to 3 axes of space. The resultant movement is recorded on a kymograph, operated by clockwork.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Melbourne Observatory, 1945
|Dimensions:||60 cm (Height), 52 cm (Width), 60 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||earthquakes, geophysical apparatus instruments, seismographs|
|Themes this item is part of:||Melbourne Observatory Collection, Science & Measurement Collection, Positional Astronomy at Melbourne Observatory, Weights & Measures at Melbourne Observatory, Melbourne Observatory & Standard Time in Victoria, Astrographic Catalogue, Transits of Venus, 1874 & 1882, Buildings at Melbourne Observatory, Star Observations & Personal Equation, Meteorology at Melbourne Observatory, 1863-1908, Melbourne Observatory, 1863-1944, Geodetic Survey of Victoria, 1858-1872|
|On Display at:||Melbourne Museum|
|Primary Classification:||PHYSICAL SCIENCES|
|Secondary Classification:||Geophysics - Seismology|
|Tertiary Classification:||measuring equipment|
|Inscriptions:||Oval maker's plate on base, marked: 'Gray & Milne's Seismograph, No. 5, James White, Glasgow'.
Clock dial marked 'J. White, Glasgow'.
|Maker:||James White - J. White, Glasgow, Scotland, Great Britain, 1887|
|User:||Melbourne Observatory, South Yarra, Victoria, Australia, 1887-1901|
This item is part of the following themes:
- Melbourne Observatory Collection
- Science & Measurement Collection
- Positional Astronomy at Melbourne Observatory
- Weights & Measures at Melbourne Observatory
- Melbourne Observatory & Standard Time in Victoria
- Astrographic Catalogue
- Transits of Venus, 1874 & 1882
- Buildings at Melbourne Observatory
- Star Observations & Personal Equation
- Meteorology at Melbourne Observatory, 1863-1908
- Melbourne Observatory, 1863-1944
- Geodetic Survey of Victoria, 1858-1872