Search the collections
This item is on display at Melbourne Museum
Stripper Harvester Model - H.V. McKay, 'Sunshine' Harvester, Ballarat, Victoria, 1899 Reg. No: ST 017993
- Scale model of the 'Sunshine' stripper harvester, designed by Hugh Victor McKay. This early form of combine harvester was one of the first machines commerically available capable of stripping, threshing, winnowing, screening, and bagging grain crops such as wheat or oats. The model was made at the H. V. McKay Sunshine Harvester Works, Ballarat, 1899. Approximately one-fifth scale working model.
In 1912 Hugh V. McKay took the 1899 model to Russia to pursue the "splendid prospects" offered by exporting his products to the cereal growing areas of Russia.
Part of the H.V. McKay Sunshine Collection. which includes an extensive collection of business records and private papers relating the H.V. McKay and his enterprise.
The model was donated to the Science Museum of Victoria just prior to the merger of H.V. McKay Pty Ltd with the Canadian firm Massey Harris Pty Ltd in 1930.
- Some details of model differ from the full size machine. Note the bagging arrangements, and chain drives.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from H.V. McKay Pty Ltd, 1930
|Dimensions:||86 cm (Height), 109 cm (Width), 72 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||agriculture, exports, harvesting equipment, industrial design, innovations, stripper harvesters, sunshine, australian innovations, innovation design|
|Themes this item is part of:||Hugh V. McKay, Agricultural Implement & Machinery Manufacturer, Ballarat & Sunshine, Victoria, H.V. McKay Sunshine Collection, Sunshine Stripper Harvester, H.V. McKay Massey Harris Pty Ltd, Agricultural Equipment Manufacturers & Importers, Sunshine, Victoria, Sustainable Futures Collection, The Sunshine Harvester Works, Sunshine, Victoria, Australia, McKay's Brandnames, Origin of the 'Sunshine' Brandname|
|On Display at:||Melbourne Museum|
|Primary Classification:||AGRICULTURE & RURAL LIFE|
|Secondary Classification:||Crop Management - Harvesting|
|Tertiary Classification:||stripper harvesters|
|Modelmaker:||H.V. McKay, Ballarat, Victoria, Australia, 1899|
|Place & Date Used:||H.V. McKay, Ballarat, Victoria, Australia, 1899-1906|
|Place & Date Used:||H.V. McKay Pty Ltd, Sunshine, Victoria, Australia, 1906-1930|
Museum Victoria, Sunshine Harvester website: http://museumvictoria.com.au/sunshine/
Australian Dictionary of Biography Online - McKay, Hugh Victor (1865 - 1926): http://adbonline.anu.edu.au/biogs/A100286b.htm
This item is part of the following themes:
- Hugh V. McKay, Agricultural Implement & Machinery Manufacturer, Ballarat & Sunshine, Victoria
- H.V. McKay Sunshine Collection
- Sunshine Stripper Harvester
- H.V. McKay Massey Harris Pty Ltd, Agricultural Equipment Manufacturers & Importers, Sunshine, Victoria
- Sustainable Futures Collection
- The Sunshine Harvester Works, Sunshine, Victoria, Australia
- McKay's Brandnames
- Origin of the 'Sunshine' Brandname