Search the collections
Plaque - Institution of Engineers Australia, H.V. McKay Smithy, 1985 Reg. No: ST 043209
- Historic engineering marker plaque dedicated by the Institution of Engineers of Australia in recognition of the McKay smithy as a significant structure the history of Australian agriculture.
- Pressed metal plaque with the Institution of Australian Engineers insignia in the left corner and a brief statement summarising the importance of the McKay smithy in the history of the development of McKay stripper harvesters and subsequently sunshine harvesters.
- Acquisition Information:
- Transfer from Institution of Engineers of Australia (The) (IEAust)
|Dimensions:||3 cm (Height), 40 cm (Width), 30 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||innovations, inventions, agriculture, harvesting equipment, stripper harvesters, memorials, plaques, innovation design|
|Themes this item is part of:||H.V. McKay Sunshine Collection, The Sunshine Harvester Works, Sunshine, Victoria, Australia, H.V. McKay Massey Harris Pty Ltd, Agricultural Equipment Manufacturers & Importers, Sunshine, Victoria, Hugh V. McKay, Agricultural Implement & Machinery Manufacturer, Ballarat & Sunshine, Victoria, Sunshine Stripper Harvester, Sustainable Futures Collection|
|Primary Classification:||AGRICULTURE & RURAL LIFE|
|Secondary Classification:||Crop Management - Harvesting|
|Tertiary Classification:||stripper harvesters|
|Inscriptions:||Top left corner of plaque: Logo of the Institution of Engineers, Australia.
Plaque text reads: 'Historic Engineering / Marker / The McKay Smithy / In this farm smithy, originally located at Drummartin, / Victoria, Hugh Victor McKay produced his first / harvesting machine which in one operation could / strip the heads, thresh, winnow & bag off the grain. / The first commercial McKay stripper harvesters were / sold in 1885 & led to the development of the / Sunshine Harvesters, these machines made a significant / contribution to the development of Australian / agriculture. / Dedicated by / the Institution of Engineers, Australia, 1985'.
|Commissioned By:||Institution of Engineers of Australia (The) (IEAust), Australia
The Institution of Engineers, Australia, have a Register of Significant built and movable engineering heritage.
|Other Association (See Comments):||H.V. McKay, Sunshine Harvester Works, Sunshine, Victoria, Australia
Plaque states the importance of the McKay smithy in the history of the development of McKay's prototype stripper harvester and subsequently 'Sunshine' harvesters.
This item is part of the following themes:
- H.V. McKay Sunshine Collection
- The Sunshine Harvester Works, Sunshine, Victoria, Australia
- H.V. McKay Massey Harris Pty Ltd, Agricultural Equipment Manufacturers & Importers, Sunshine, Victoria
- Hugh V. McKay, Agricultural Implement & Machinery Manufacturer, Ballarat & Sunshine, Victoria
- Sunshine Stripper Harvester
- Sustainable Futures Collection