Search the collections
Similar items over time
Cycle Motorwheel - 'Cyclemaster', 1950 Reg. No: ST 043800
- This air-cooled, single-cylinder 25.7 c.c internal combustion engine was manufactured in the United Kingdom under the 'Cyclemaster' brandname. The engine is designed to be mounted over the hub of the rear wheel of a bicycle and could be easily fitted without modification to the bike. The design was taken from a German DKW 'Radmeister' developed in Holland after the World War II. British production by Cyclemaster Ltd began in 1950 at the EMI factory at Hayes, Middlesex. Similar units were produced in Holland and Germany. In 1951-52 an improved 32 c.c model was introduced with 100,000 units being made up to late 1952. These engines provided cheap post-war transport for those who could not afford a car or a motor cycle. Cheaper mopeds and motor scooters later made the cycle motorwheel concept obsolete and production of the Cyclemaster ended in 1961.
This unit was purchased second-hand in the UK and used by the donor's father on a bicycle tour of Europe in 1951 after which it was brought to Australia.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Ms Lisa Burns, 1996
|Dimensions:||210 mm (Width), 610 mm (Diameter)|
|Tagged with:||autowheels, bicycle components, bicycles|
|Themes this item is part of:||Engineering Collection, Transport Collection|
|Primary Classification:||ROAD TRANSPORT|
|Tertiary Classification:||bicycle accessories|
|Manufacturer:||Cyclemaster, England, Great Britain, circa 1950
Engine carries 'CM' and 'Cyclemaster Made In England' labels. No other information on the manufacturer is available at this stage, but other details could probably obtained through contacts in England.