Search the collections
Motor Cycle - Triumph Thunderbird, 1951 Reg. No: ST 033223
- The Thunderbird was one of the most popular British motor cycles of the post-war years, being particularly well suited to the requirements of police forces, sidecar users and club racing. Triumph wanted their new medium power machine to compete with American manufacturers, even giving it a native American name. The Thunderbird, introduced in 1949 features the 649 c.c twin-cylinder engine, developed from the range of vertical-twin overhead-valve designs introduced in the mid-1930s. The 649cc engine was one of the most versatile of all British motorcycle engines being used in trials and (in modified form) breaking the world motorcycle speed record. Production machines were capable of around 100 miles per hour.
The Thunderbird was used by Victoria Police in solo and sidecar form during the 1950s for traffic duties but it is perhaps best remembered for being riden by Marlon Brando in the 1953 film 'The Wild One'. The original Thunderbird was produced until 1965 at the Meriden Works of the Triumph Engineering Company Ltd, Allesley, Coventry. The Thunderbird name was later reintroduced by the new Triumph firm in 1995 and continued in production until 2003, emulating its namesake by achieving sales success in the USA. This example was donated to the Museum in 1982.
- Painted metallic blue with single black leather seat pad.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Mr Robert Ellis, 1982
|Dimensions:||1003 mm (Height), 690 mm (Width), 2009 mm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||motor cycles|
|Themes this item is part of:||Engineering Collection, Transport Collection, Motor Cycle Collection, Triumph Thunderbird Motor Cycle|
|Primary Classification:||ROAD TRANSPORT|
|Secondary Classification:||Motor Cycles|
|Tertiary Classification:||motor cycles|
|Inscriptions:||Engine no. marked as '6T 773NA'. Two black rubber knee-pads on fuel tank sides with moulded lettering 'Triumph'.|
|Manufacturer:||Triumph Engineering Co Ltd, Coventry, England, Great Britain, 1951|
|Past Owner:||Mr Robert Ellis, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, pre 1982|