Search the collections
Scales - Gold Weighing, circa 1850 Reg. No: ST 029395
- Two pan gold scales mounted on a box, made circa 1850. They were used by the Denis Brothers to weight gold brought into their shop by miners from the Bendigo and Ballarat goldfields. The Denis Brothers established a Watchmaker and Jewellery shop in Melbourne in 1853.
- Two circular pan scales are suspended from a metal balance which is supported on a vertical metal vertical stand. The stand on top of a rectangular wooden box with a sliding drawer. There is also a circular brass tray. In the draw are: 5 brass weights, a small wooden stamp, a pin with a segmented bone handle and 4 letter-headed pages.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Mrs Y. Haysom, 1976
|Dimensions:||350 mm (Height), 175 mm (Width), 330 mm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||gold, balances, scales balances, assay balances, assaying apparatus|
|Themes this item is part of:||Engineering Collection, Science & Measurement Collection|
|Primary Classification:||MINING & METALLURGY|
|Secondary Classification:||Assaying - Gold|
|Tertiary Classification:||balances & scales|
|Inscriptions:||Stamped on Brass Tray: 'D'
Printed on Card: 'L. EXUPERE, PARIS'
|Date Manufactured:||circa 1850|
|User:||Denis Brothers, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, circa 1853|