Search the collections
Aeroplane Wing Strut - Friedrichshafen GIII, 1918 Reg. No: ST 014740
- Section of the wooden inner interplane strut from a German Air Service Friedrichshafen bomber. Removed by 1AM Harold P. Wood who was serving as a mechanic with No 4 Squadron, Australian Flying Corps. The Squadron was based at Bickendorf airfield near Cologne in Germany between December 1918 and March 1919 with the British Army of Occupation. A number of large German bombers where found at Bickendorf and this strut is believed to come from a Friedrichshafen GIII which was present. Painted in a dull grey with remains of a stencil letter in red.
- Section of the wooden inner interplane strut from a German Air Service Friedrichshafen bomber.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Mr Harold Wood, 1923
|Dimensions:||170 mm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||bombers, military aircraft components, wars conflicts|
|Themes this item is part of:||Public Life & Institutions Collection, Transport Collection, Harold P. Wood Collection|
|Primary Classification:||AIR TRANSPORT|
|Tertiary Classification:||components - wing structures|
|Inscriptions:||Partial stencil in red "/1"|
|Manufacturer:||F.F. Flugzeugbau Friedrichshafen, Bodensee, Württemberg, Germany, circa 1917|
|Place & Date Collected:||Cologne, Germany, 1918-1919|
|Other Association (See Comments):||Mr Harold Wood, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1918-1919
Item souvenired by