Search the collections
Scales - Miner's, Mount Blackwood, 1850s Reg. No: ST 024326
- Miner's scales used at Mount Blackwood, Victoria during the 1850s gold rushes for the weighing of gold. Contained in an oval brown painted tin, inscribed in gold with "miners scale." surrounded by a leaf pattern. The scales are brass and come with three weights, enclosed in a separate compartment within the container.
- Brass scales come with three weights housed in separate compartments within the container. The container is oval brown painted tin with gold text and leaf pattern. Box has chipped paint and some dents.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Miss M. Gray, 1957
|Dimensions:||30 mm (Height), 162 mm (Width), 76 mm (Length)|
|Dimension Comment:||Measurements for case.|
|Tagged with:||gold, physical apparatus instruments, balances, scales balances, assay balances, assaying apparatus|
|Themes this item is part of:||Engineering Collection, Science & Measurement Collection|
|Primary Classification:||MINING & METALLURGY|
|Secondary Classification:||Assaying - Gold|
|Tertiary Classification:||balances & scales|
|Inscriptions:||Tin lid has gold text: "miners scale".|
|Date Made:||Australia, 1850-1860|
|Date Used:||Mount Blackwood, Victoria, Australia, 1850-1860
Mount Blackwood is 14km northwest of Bacchus Marsh.