Search the collections
Baggage Label - Sitmar Line, Baggage Room, circa 1950s Reg. No: HT 1451
- Baggage label used on the Sitmar Line in the baggage room circa 1950. It is part of a collection of shipboard souvenirs collected by Margaret Wood an officer in the Department of Immigration from 1951-1960. As part of her role Margaret met migrant ships arriving at Station Pier in Melbourne and she often received gifts from ship staff.
Margaret first worked in the Department of Alien Assimilation which focused on migrants post arrival, before moving to the Assisted Division which handled the reception of assisted European migrants arriving in Melbourne. Her final position was working for the General Assisted Passage Scheme, assisting migrants from the US, Scandinavia and Switzerland who came individually on general ships as opposed to migrant ships. She recalls her time with the Department with great pleasure. She was a young single woman and had just finished an Arts degree at Melbourne University. When she applied to the Public Service, she was placed with the Department of Immigration, as she spoke German. She left when she married in 1961 as per the policy at that time.
- Rectangular paper label with adhesive on reverse. Label has a yellow background with white and blue printed text.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Mrs Margaret Wood, 2003
|Dimensions:||180 mm (Width), 98 mm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||immigration, shipping, station pier, women s work, government departments, government policies, immigrant shipping, immigrant voyages|
|Themes this item is part of:||Margaret Wood, Department of Immigration Officer (1951-1961), Transport Collection, Margaret Wood Immigration & Shipping Collection|
|Secondary Classification:||Processing - Planning & Departure|
|Tertiary Classification:||luggage handling|
|Inscriptions:||Text: sitmar line/NAME/SHIP CABIN No/FROM DATE/LANDING PORT/BAGGAGE ROOM.|
|Manufactured For:||Sitmar Line (Societa Italiana Transporti Marittimi S.p.A.), Genova, Italy, circa 1950s|
|User:||Mrs Margaret Wood, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, circa 1950s|
This item is part of the following themes: