Search the collections
Postcards - Lloyd Triestino Line, circa 1950s Reg. No: HT 1497
- Two onboard postcard made available to passengers on the ships MN Australia, Oceania and Neptunia on the Lloyd Triestino Line for correspondence. They are part of a collection of shipboard souvenirs collected by Margaret Wood an officer in the Department of Immigration from 1951-1960. As part of her role Margaret met migrant ships arriving at Station Pier in Melbourne and she often received gifts from ship staff.
Margaret first worked in the Department of Alien Assimilation which focused on migrants post arrival, before moving to the Assisted Division which handled the reception of assisted European migrants arriving in Melbourne. Her final position was working for the General Assisted Passage Scheme, assisting migrants from the US, Scandinavia and Switzerland who came individually on general ships as opposed to migrant ships. She recalls her time with the Department with great pleasure. She was a young single woman and had just finished an Arts degree at Melbourne University. When she applied to the Public Service, she was placed with the Department of Immigration, as she spoke German. She left when she married in 1961 as per the policy at that time.
- Postcard featuring a coloured image of a ship at sea.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Mrs Margaret Wood, 2003
|Dimensions:||15.10 cm (Width), 10.70 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||immigration, shipping, station pier, women s work, immigrant shipping, immigration policies, ship memorabilia, shipping lines|
|Themes this item is part of:||Margaret Wood, Department of Immigration Officer (1951-1961), Cultural Diversity Collection, Migration Collection, Transport Collection, Margaret Wood Immigration & Shipping Collection|
|Secondary Classification:||Travel - Shipboard Life|
|Inscriptions:||Text, reverse: LLOYD TRIESTINO/TRIESTE/Distribuzione/gratuita/M/n AUSTRLIA OCEANIA NEPTUNIA.|
|Manufactured For:||Lloyd Triestino Lines, Genova, Italy, circa 1950s|
|User:||Mrs Margaret Wood, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, circa 1950s|