Search the collections
Label - Brau Union Österreich AG, Reininghaus, Marzen, circa 1950s Reg. No: HT 1498
- Paper label for Reininghaus Märzen beer, manufactured by Brau Union Österreich AG, circa 1950s. It is part of a collection of shipboard souvenirs collected by Margaret Wood an officer in the Department of Immigration from 1951-1960. As part of her role Margaret met migrant ships arriving at Station Pier in Melbourne and she often received gifts from ship staff.
Margaret first worked in the Department of Alien Assimilation which focused on migrants post arrival, before moving to the Assisted Division which handled the reception of assisted European migrants arriving in Melbourne. Her final position was working for the General Assisted Passage Scheme, assisting migrants from the US, Scandinavia and Switzerland who came individually on general ships as opposed to migrant ships. She recalls her time with the Department with great pleasure. She was a young single woman and had just finished an Arts degree at Melbourne University. When she applied to the Public Service, she was placed with the Department of Immigration, as she spoke German. She left when she married in 1961 as per the policy at that time.
- Austrian beer label. Red paper with white text. Features logo: White outlined shield with bird/falcon design holding a letter in its talons.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Mrs Margaret Wood, 2003
|Dimensions:||9.10 cm (Width), 7.30 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||immigration, shipping lines, beer, women s work, immigrant shipping, shipping, immigration policies, station pier|
|Themes this item is part of:||Margaret Wood, Department of Immigration Officer (1951-1961), Cultural Diversity Collection, Margaret Wood Immigration & Shipping Collection, Migration Collection, Transport Collection|
|Secondary Classification:||Processing - Planning & Departure|
|Tertiary Classification:||luggage handling|
|Manufactured For:||Brau Union Österreich AG, Linz, Austria, circa 1950s|
|User:||Mrs Margaret Wood, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, circa 1950s|