Where is it from?

Association locations map

Tags

Add your own tags:
Separate multiple tags using a comma

Similar items over time

Medal - Flemington & Kensington Presbyterian Church Foundation Stone, Victoria, Australia, 1888 Numismatics Reg. No: NU 20880

Summary:
Australia Victoria Flemington
Flemington & Kensington Presbyterian Church Laying of Foundation Stone 1888 (AD)
Mint: not recorded

Other Details: Medal issued to commemorate the laying of the foundation stone for the Flemington and Kensington Presbyterian Church in 1888. The stone was laid by James Urie Esq., J.P. and Mayor of the Borough of Flemington and Kensington. The church was located in Norwood St, Flemington. It was designed by A.E. Duguid. The Church was destroyed by fire on 24 April 1970. The Borough of Flemington and Kensington, established in March 1882, had a dense population of 6,800 in an area of 1,078 acres in 1888. It included a city market, city abbatoirs and factories. Efforts were underway to have the abbatoir and cattle yards removed.

Previous Collections: George McArthur
Acquisition Information:
Transfer from National Gallery of Victoria (NGV), 1976
Discipline: Numismatics
Dimensions: 31 mm (Diameter)
Weight: 12.34 g (Weight)

More information

Tagged with: architecture, churches, religions
Themes this item is part of: James Urie, Councillor, Borough of Flemington & Kensington (circa 1840s-?), George McArthur, Collector & Baker (1842-1903), Numismatics & Philately Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection, McArthur Bequest
Primary Classification: MEDALS
Secondary Classification: Commemorative
Tertiary Classification: religions
Series: Australian Commemorative Medals
DateEra: 1888 AD
Obverse Description: View of proposed church; above, FLEMINGTON & KENSINGTON;
in exergue, PRESBYTERIAN / CHURCH
Reverse Description: At centre within wide border; BY JAS. URIE ESQ. J.P. / 8 / MAYOR / OF / THE / BOROUGH;
around on broad rim, TO COMMEMORATE THE LAYING OF THE FOUNDATION STONE . 25 JUNE 1888 .
Edge Description: Plain
Shape: round
Material: Gilt
Issued By: Flemington and Kensington Borough Council, Flemington, Victoria, Australia, 25 Jun 1888
Person Named: Mr James Urie - Borough Council of Flemington and Kensington, Flemington, Victoria, Australia, 1888

Mayor who laid the foundation stone of the Flemington and Kensington Presbyterian Church.
Previous Collection: George McArthur
Bibliography:
  1. [Catalogue] Morrison, Ian. 2003. The Baker of Maldon.

Comments

Ray Browm Posted on 30 Jul 2010 11:52 PM
also a principal partner in the significant colonial stained glass window firm of "Ferguson & Urie" who established a partnership in 1853.
Roslyn Hyde Posted on 26 Oct 2010 5:35 PM
James Urie's ( my great Grand-Father)home also was the two story home that the priest lives in attached to the catholic church in Wellington St Flemington 3031

Add your comment

  • Museum Victoria does not provide valuations, for more information please visit the valuation infosheet
  • Please note that Museum Victoria staff will not normally respond to comments posted on our website.

Similar items

Yes No