Search the collections
This item is on display at Melbourne Museum
Medal - 'Crucifixion', Stations of the Cross, Australia, 1943 Reg. No: NU 20292
- Bronze medal 'Crucifixion' , designed by Andro Meszaros and minted by Pinches, London, in 1947.
This is the 11th medal of the Stations of the Cross by renowned medal sculptor Andor Meszaros. Meszaros, a Hungarian immigrant, arrived in Australia in 1938. He found that Australia did not have a developed tradition in medallic art and in 1949 travelled to England to undertake sculpture and medallion work at Canterbury. Here his Stations of the Cross medal series, which he had been designing for seven years, was endorsed by the Bishop of the Cathedral and became known as the 'Canterbury Series'. It took Andor a further 20 years to complete the 14 medals of the series, which was available in both silver and bronze.
- A silver uniface medal (64 mm diameter) depicting Christ being nailed to the cross, three other figures in the field
- Statement Of Significance:
- For over half a century, sculptors Andor (1900-1973) and Michael (1945- ) Meszaros have created medals that reflect the high points of life in Australia. From major awards and portraits of eminent Australians to artwork celebrating popular culture and the natural world, these objects illuminate our culture and history. Grounded in a centuries-old European art tradition, the medals create connections across disciplines and link such diverse subjects as scientific advances, religious themes, sport, the performing arts and motherhood. Through their public and private commissions and their personal artworks, the Meszaros sculptors have defined the modern Australian medal.
- Acquisition Information:
- Transfer from National Gallery of Victoria (NGV), 1976
|Dimensions:||63.5 mm (Diameter)|
|Dimension Comment:||Diam = 64 mm|
|Tagged with:||immigration, religions, art medals, religions roman catholic, medals|
|Themes this item is part of:||Andor Mészáros, Medal Artist (1900-1972), Migration Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection, Pinches Mint, Medal Makers, London, England, Numismatics & Philately Collection, Meszaros Medals Collection|
|On Display at:||Melbourne Museum|
|Series:||Australian Art Medals|
|Obverse Description:||CHRISTVS FIGITVR AD CRVCEM / ANDOR / MESZAROS / 1943 / [monogram]. Figure of Christ being nailed to the cross, three other figures in the field|
|Reverse Description:||PINCHES LONDON|
|Inscriptions:||Obverse: CHRISTVS FIGITVR AD CRVCEM ANDOR MESZAROS 1943
Reverse: PINCHES LONDON
|Mint:||Pinches, London (Mint)|
|Artist:||Andor Mészáros, 1943|
This item is part of the following themes: