Search the collections
Medal - 'Maternity', King George V Memorial Hospital for Mothers & Babies, Sydney, Australia, 1947 Reg. No: NU 20765
- Bronze medal commemorating the King George V Memorial Hospital in Sydney, New South Wales. Designed by Andor Meszaros and minted by Pinches, London.
In 1943 Hungarian immigrant artist Andor Meszaros was commissioned to produce a large-scale sculpture entitled 'Maternity' for Sydney's King George V Hospital. Meszaros described the statue as 'a forward-striding, fully developed female figure, holding proudly in one arm the only real creation, the child.' Andor's wife Elizabeth was the model for the statue, and it was the most successful of his public sculptures. He was commissioned by the hospital to reinterpret the statue for this medal; available in either bronze or silver, it was sold through the hospital, with room on the reverse for a child's name to be engraved.Australia
- A bronze medal (38 mm diameter) featuring a woman striding to right holding baby in right arm and a large tree curved around space where baby's details could be engraved, a small tree grows at the base.
- Statement Of Significance:
- For over half a century, sculptors Andor (1900-1973) and Michael (1945- ) Meszaros have created medals that reflect the high points of life in Australia. From major awards and portraits of eminent Australians to artwork celebrating popular culture and the natural world, these objects illuminate our culture and history. Grounded in a centuries-old European art tradition, the medals create connections across disciplines and link such diverse subjects as scientific advances, religious themes, sport, the performing arts and motherhood. Through their public and private commissions and their personal artworks, the Meszaros sculptors have defined the modern Australian medal.
- Acquisition Information:
- Transfer from National Gallery of Victoria (NGV), 1976
|Dimensions:||39 mm (Diameter)|
|Weight:||20.40 G (Weight)|
|Tagged with:||healthcare medicine, hospitals, medals|
|Themes this item is part of:||Andor Mészáros, Medal Artist (1900-1972), Andor Mészáros, Medal Artist (1900-1972), Medicine in Society Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection, HRH King George V (1865-1936), Migration Collection, Numismatics & Philately Collection, Meszaros Medals Collection|
|Tertiary Classification:||medicine & health|
|Series:||Australian Art Medals|
|Obverse Description:||Woman striding to right holding baby in right arm; around, KING GEORGE V MEMORIAL HOSPITAL FOR MOTHERS AND BABIES, in field left, A. MESZAROS / 1947|
|Reverse Description:||At right large tree curved around space where baby's details could be engraved, a small tree grows at the base.|
|Inscriptions:||KING GEORGE V MEMORIAL HOSPITAL FOR MOTHERS AND BABIES A. MESZAROS 1947|
|Issued By:||King George V Memorial Hospital for Mothers and Babies, Australia|
|Artist:||Andor Mészáros, 1947|
|Person Named:||King George V|
This item is part of the following themes: