Search the collections
This item is on display at Melbourne Museum
Medal - 'Christ's Second Fall', Stations of the Cross, Australia, 1947 Reg. No: NU 20293
- Bronze medal 'Christ's Second Fall' , designed by Andro Mészáros and minted by Pinches, London, in 1947.
This is the 7th medal of the Stations of the Cross by renowned medal sculptor Andor Mészáros. Mészáros, a Hungarian immigrant, arrived in Australia in 1938. He found that Australia did not have a developed tradition in medallic art and in 1949 travelled to England to undertake sculpture and medallion work at Canterbury. Here his Stations of the Cross medal series, which he had been designing for seven years, was endorsed by the Bishop of the Cathedral and became known as the 'Canterbury Series'. It took Mészáros a further 20 years to complete the 14 medals of the series, which was available in both silver and bronze.
- A bronze uniface medal (64 mm diameter) depicting Christ falling while carrying the cross, being whipped by a man on a horse
- Statement Of Significance:
- For over half a century, sculptors Andor (1900-1973) and Michael (1945- ) Meszaros have created medals that reflect the high points of life in Australia. From major awards and portraits of eminent Australians to artwork celebrating popular culture and the natural world, these objects illuminate our culture and history. Grounded in a centuries-old European art tradition, the medals create connections across disciplines and link such diverse subjects as scientific advances, religious themes, sport, the performing arts and motherhood. Through their public and private commissions and their personal artworks, the Meszaros sculptors have defined the modern Australian medal.
- Acquisition Information:
- Transfer from National Gallery of Victoria (NGV), 1976
|Dimensions:||63 mm (Diameter)|
|Tagged with:||art medals, religions, immigration, religions roman catholic, medals|
|Themes this item is part of:||Andor Mészáros, Medal Artist (1900-1972), Public Life & Institutions Collection, Pinches Mint, Medal Makers, London, England, Migration Collection, Numismatics & Philately Collection, Meszaros Medals Collection|
|On Display at:||Melbourne Museum|
|Series:||Australian Art Medals|
|Obverse Description:||Christ carrying the cross, being whipped by a man on a horse; around CHRSTVS ITER VM CADIT; below in small letters, ANDOR / MESZAROS / 1947|
|Reverse Description:||PINCHES LONDON|
|Inscriptions:||Obverse: CHRSTVS ITERVM CADIT ANDOR MESZAROS 1947
Reverse: PINCHES LONDON
|Mint:||Pinches, London (Mint)|
This item is part of the following themes: