Token - 1 Penny, Crocker & Hamilton, Drapers & Clothiers, Adelaide, South Australia, Australia, circa 1855 Reg. No: NU 11140
- Copper One Penny Token, minted by an unknown British Mint. Issued by Crocker & Hamilton, Drapers & Clothiers, Adelaide, circa 1855. The firm Crocker & Hamilton, Drapers, were in business from at least 1854. They are listed in Howell's Adelaide Directory for 1858, although the partnership must have been dissolved between the time Howell collected the listings for his directory and July of that year as during that month advertisements appeared in the Adelaide Advertiser informing the public that Crocker & Co. were 'SELLING OFF, SELLING OFF. - Crocker & Co. beg to inform the public of South Australia that they have determined on relinquishing the DRAPERY TRADE.' These advertisements continued until September 1858, indicating that the public had not cleared the stock of Crocker & Co. at any great pace.
- A round copper token (34 mm diameter). The token features the name address and business of the issuer: Crocker & Hamilton of Adelaide and Port Adelaide Drapers and Clothiers.
- Acquisition Information:
- Transfer from Melbourne Branch of Royal Mint, 1978
|Dimensions:||34 mm (Diameter)|
|Weight:||14.636 g (Weight)|
|Tagged with:||clothing trade, drapers|
|Themes this item is part of:||Crocker & Hamilton, Drapers, Adelaide, South Australia, Clothing & Textiles Collection, Numismatics & Philately Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection, Royal Mint, Melbourne Branch, Melbourne, Victoria, Branch Mints of the Royal Mint, Deputy Masters of the Melbourne Branch of the Royal Mint, Closure of Melbourne Mint, Melbourne Mint during World War II, Establishment of Melbourne Mint, 1872, Melbourne Mint|
|Primary Classification:||TRADE TOKENS|
|Secondary Classification:||Australia - South Australia|
|Tertiary Classification:||working strikes|
|DateEra:||circa 1855 AD|
|Obverse Description:||CROCKER / & / HAMILTON / ADELAIDE / PORT ADELAIDE
|Reverse Description:||DRAPERS / GROCER / & HAMILTON / CLOTHIERS &c.
cleaned and re-toned green
|Inscriptions:||Obverse: CROCKER & HAMILTON ADELAIDE PORT ADELAIDE
Reverse: DRAPERS CROCKER & HAMILTON CLOTHIERS &c.
|Issued By:||Crocker & Hamilton, Adelaide, South Australia, Australia, 1850-1860|
|Previous Collection:||Royal Mint, Melbourne Branch|
|References:||The approximate date of issue, c. 1855 is based on company expansion to an additional store at Burra Burra by 1857 when they issued their halfpenny tokens.|
This item is part of the following themes:
- Crocker & Hamilton, Drapers, Adelaide, South Australia
- Clothing & Textiles Collection
- Numismatics & Philately Collection
- Working Life & Trades Collection
- Royal Mint, Melbourne Branch, Melbourne, Victoria
- Branch Mints of the Royal Mint
- Deputy Masters of the Melbourne Branch of the Royal Mint
- Closure of Melbourne Mint
- Melbourne Mint during World War II
- Establishment of Melbourne Mint, 1872
- Melbourne Mint