Search the collections
Token - 1 Penny, Annand, Smith & Co, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1849 Reg. No: NU 29290
- Copper one Penny Token, minted by Soho Mint in Birmingham, 1849. Issued by Annand Smith & Co, Family grocers, in Collins Street, Melbourne. Annand Smith & Co issued Australia's first circulating copper tokens, on 20 October 1849. In 1949 the Numismatic Association of Victoria issued a medal to commemorate the 100th anniversary of that token. The partnership between Annand and Smith was over by 1852.
Annand Smith & Co. had two issues of trade tokens, the first were manufactured by the Soho Mint, Birmingham, in 1849 and the second by Heaton & Sons in 1851. The second issue (from which this token is) has the letters H&S added beside the shield (it is a different Britannia die too).
Previous Collections: Henry S. Smith
- A round copper token (34 mm diameter) giving the name address and business of the issuer: Annand, Smith & Co., Melbourne, family grocers. The token features on the reverse Britannia seated facing left on a rock against which rests a shield decorated with the Union Jack. Britannia extends an olive branch in her right hand and rests a trident from her left. A three-masted sailing ship is on the horizon at left.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Mr Robert Edwards - Museum of Victoria, 1988
|Dimensions:||34 mm (Diameter)|
|Weight:||16.490 g (Weight)|
|Tagged with:||grocers, import trade, retail trade, retailing|
|Themes this item is part of:||Annand, Smith & Co., Grocers, Melbourne, Victoria, Numismatics & Philately Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection|
|Primary Classification:||TRADE TOKENS|
|Secondary Classification:||Australia - Victoria|
|Tertiary Classification:||working strikes|
|Obverse Description:||Legend in four lines within a border of 132 beads, ANNAND SMITH & CO / FAMILY / GROCERS / .MELBOURNE. the first and last lines are curved|
|Reverse Description:||Britannia seated facing left on a rock against which rests a shield decorated with the Union Jack. Britannia extends an olive branch (with eleven leaves and three berries) in her right hand and rests a trident from her left. A three-masted sailing ship is on the horizon at left; above, BRITANNIA|
|Inscriptions:||Obverse: ANNAND SMITH & CO FAMILY GROCERS MELBOURNE
|Issued By:||Annand, Smith & Co., Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1849
Issued before the separation of the Port Phillip District.
|Mint:||Soho (Mint), Birmingham, England, Great Britain, 1849
This was the last issue of the Soho Mint.
|Previous Collection:||Mr Henry Smith|
Henderson, R.L., 'Annand, Smith and Co.', in Australian Numismatist, 1988 Special Bicentennial Edition, pp.12 - 16 [photocopy]; Gardner, F.,' Trade tokens and the businesses that issued them', The Australian Storekeepers and Traders Journal, 31 January 1911, pp.13 - 14; Advertisement, Melbourne Commercial Directory, compiled by P.W. Pierce, 1853, unnumbered page at rear of directory.
There were two issues of trade tokens made by this company. The first (see NU 3530), in 1849 was manufactured by the Soho Mint, Birmingham sent in three shipments, the first 5 cwt at 27.5 pieces per pound (15,400 tokens) on 23 May 1849 then on 12 October 1849 and 15 January 1850 each of about the same weight. Richard Doty gives the final number of tokens sent as 45,503. This was their last product before being sold. Heaton & Sons purchased much of the equipment at the sale of the Soho mint and their first issue was of trade tokens for Annand Smith & Co. in 1851. The second issue (from which this token) has the letters H&S added beside the shield (it is a different Britannia die too). The first Annand Smith token was the first circulating trade token issued in Australia.
John Sharples 18 Oct 2004