Medal - Australia Day, Gold Donor, Victoria, Australia, 1915 Reg. No: NU 33110
- Australia Day Gold Donor medal, dated 30 July 1915, commemorating the Dardanelles (Gallipoli) battle, then underway. Australia Day was celebrated on this day, 30 July in 1915, and attracted enthusiastic crowds.
The celebration raised funds for the Australian Division of the Red Cross, for use on the front, on hospital ships and at hospitals in Malta and Egypt. This followed a successful 'Belgian Day' held on 15 May 1915.
Mint: Stokes & Sons.
- Obverse features profile of George V. Reverse has inscription.
- Statement Of Significance:
- Ernest Scott, Australia During the War, vol XI of the Official History of Australia in the War, 1914-1918, Sydney, 1938, pp 728-731, describes the use of badges:
"A device previously introduced in Melbourne was widely adopted -- the sale of a button or metal badge sometimes of uniform size and design, sometimes varying according to the amount paid. This proved an excellent device. In the most-frequented spots in city and suburbs the stall-holders, with the aid of many friendly assistants, had erected dainty booths, and in and around these worked thousands of bright-eyed girls -- nurses, teachers, and others -- selling the various wares and the buttons of the Day."
In New South Wales, 839,550 pounds was collected; in Victoria 311,848 pounds.
- Acquisition Information:
- Transfer from National Gallery of Victoria (NGV), 1976
|Dimensions:||30 mm (Diameter)|
|Weight:||8.25 g (Weight)|
|Dimension Comment:||30 * 60 when ribbon extended|
|Tagged with:||anzac day, australia day, commemorations, patriotic tokens, patriotism, wars conflicts, world war i 1914-1918|
|Themes this item is part of:||Public Life & Institutions Collection, Wannenmacher Collection, HRH King George V (1865-1936), Stokes & Son, Medal Makers, Melbourne, Victoria & Sydney, New South Wales|
|Tertiary Classification:||military history|
|Series:||Australian Commemorative medals|
|Obverse Description:||At centre bare head of George V left; below in tiny letters, S&S; on arms of cross, REMEMBER THE DARDANELLES 1915|
|Reverse Description:||JULY / 30TH / 1915 / AUSTRALIA DAY / GOLD / DONOR|
|Inscriptions:||REMEMBER THE DARDANELLES 1915 (obverse)
JULY 30TH 1915 AUSTRALIA DAY GOLD DONOR (reverse)
|Shape:||Cross & ribbon|
|Issued By:||Victoria, Australia, 1915|
|Mint:||Stokes & Sons, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1915|
|Person Depicted:||King George V, 1915|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Gallipoli Peninsula, Dardanelles, Turkey, 1915|