Similar items over time

Coin - 1 Penny, Isle of Man, 1709 Numismatics Reg. No: NU 13524

1 Penny, Issued by James Stanley, 10th Earl of Derby, Isle of Man, Great Britain, 1709
Cast in Castle Rushen, Castletown (possible)
Statement Of Significance:
The Stanleys, Earls of Derby, were granted the Isle of Man by King Henry IV in 1406. They ruled as kings of Man until 1651 when the title was changed to Lord. In 1708 the 10th Earl approached the British Treasury to have coins struck for the Isle of Man but the request was rejected at the recommendation of Sir Isaac Newton, then at the Royal Mint. The Earl then proceeded to have copper coins cast, possibly at Castle Rushen. The coins were proclaimed current on 24 June 1710 by an Act of Tynwald.
Acquisition Information:
Transfer from National Gallery of Victoria (NGV), 1976
Discipline: Numismatics
Dimensions: 28 mm (Diameter)
Weight: 9.65 g (Weight)

More information

Tagged with: cast coins, british empire coins, british commonwealth and empire coins
Themes this item is part of: George McArthur, Collector & Baker (1842-1903), Numismatics & Philately Collection
Primary Classification: COINS
Secondary Classification: Great Britain - Isle of Man
Tertiary Classification: working strikes
Series: Earls of Derby
DateEra: 1709 AD
Denomination: 1 Penny
Obverse Description: The Stanley crest and moto: on a chapeau gules, turned up ermine below an eagle with wings spread standing (or preying) on a baby in its cradle; around above, SANS CHANGER; below, 1709
Reverse Description: At centre, triskelis: three legs joined at the upper part of the thigh, flexed, garnished and spurred; around, QUOCUNQUE GESSERIS STABIT (wherever you throw it, it will stand)
Edge Description: Plain
Shape: Round
Material: Copper
Issued By: Earl James Stanley, Castletown, Isle of Man, 1709
Mint: Castle Rushen (Mint), Castletown, Isle of Man, 1709

Identification of the castle as the mint are based on the discovery of broken copper runners, which may have been waste product of casting the coins, which were found during excavations in 1905. Pridmore records that a plan of the castle dated 1760 shows the area where the runners were found was named the 'Plumbers Foundery', modern plans show it as 'The Mint'. Pridmore was not convinced.
References: Pridmore 1
Pridmore, F. The coins of the British Commonwealth of Nations, Spink & Son Ltd., London, 1960, Part 1, p. 10
Hocking, William J., Catalogue of the Coins, Tokens etc. in the Museum of the Royal Mint, London, 1906, vol. 1, p. 250
  1. [Thesis] Lugton, Mary E. 1989. George McArthur of Maldon: his Life and his Book Collection.
  2. [Catalogue] Morrison, Ian. 2003. The Baker of Maldon.
  3. [Book], Major Fred Pridmore, The Coins of the British Commonwealth of Nations Part 1, European Territories, Spink & Son Ltd., London, 1960

Add your comment

  • Museum Victoria does not provide valuations, for more information please visit the valuation infosheet
  • Please note that Museum Victoria staff will not normally respond to comments posted on our website.
Yes No