Search the collections
Similar items over time
Painting - 'Cornubian House', William Tibbits, Framed, circa 1870 Reg. No: HT 27776
- Framed painting by William Tibbits, titled 'Cornubian House The Property of Burall Esqr Daylesford', in watercolour, pen and ink.
William Taylor Smith Tibbits (circa 1837-1906) was a Victorian watercolourist and lithographer, who specialised in painting commercial, residential and industrial buildings and landscapes.
Joseph Burall was a manager for several mines operating in the Daylesford area between 1865 and 1872, including Band of Hope Quartz-Mining Company, Palmerston Quartz-Mining Company, North Fear-Not Quartz-Mining Company, Argus Quartz Mining Company and Confluence Gold Mining Company.
- A painting of a white weatherboard home, showing front yard and left hand side. Mounted and framed, behind glass. Some text and/or numbers slightly visible but illegible on sheet beneath mount.
|Dimensions:||513 mm (Height), 582 mm (Width)|
|Dimension Comment:||Above dimensions are for the framed image. Size of image only is 350 mm wide by 250 mm high.|
|Tagged with:||rural victoria, homes, rural landscapes, weatherboards|
|Themes this item is part of:||Domestic & Community Life Collection, Images & Image Making Collection|
|Primary Classification:||BUILDING & CONSTRUCTION|
|Secondary Classification:||Residential Buildings|
|Inscriptions:||Lower right corner, brown ink: ' Drawn By W. TIBBITS (Qvbsi) NEIL ST Ballarat '
Central, below image, brown ink: ' CORNUBIAN HOUSE/ The Property of Burall Esqr / DAYLESFORD '
|Artist:||Mr William Tibbits, Ballarat, Victoria, Australia, circa 1870|
|Commissioned By (Probable):||Mr Joseph Burrall, Ballarat, Victoria, Australia, circa 1870|
Information for William Tibbits: http://www.daao.org.au/main/read/6161 - Retrieved 17 Dec 2010
Information for Joseph Burall from NLA Newspaper database, various articles: http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/result?q=%22joseph+burall%22&s=20 - Retrieved 17 Dec 2010
State Library Victoria also has the painting: http://www.slv.vic.gov.au/pictoria/b/2/8/doc/b28665.shtml - Retrieved 17 Dec 2010