Similar items over time
Ampoule - Glass, Freeze Drying, circa 1940s Reg. No: HT 3478
- Glass ampoule used for freeze drying solutions. Vast numbers of these ampoules were used for drying penicillin under vacuum for storage. They were sealed by flaming the neck while vacuum connected. Used by Commonwealth Serum Laboratories (CSL) Limited, Parkville, Victoria. Possibly manufactured by Australian Glass.
- Cylindrical glass chamber with thin glass tube leading to opening.
- Statement Of Significance:
- An early example of glassware used for the storage of penicillin manufactured at CSL
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from CSL Ltd (Commonwealth Serum Laboratories), 2004
|Dimensions:||3.00 cm (Width), 23.00 cm (Length)|
|Tagged with:||glassware, laboratory apparatus, manufacturing, penicillin|
|Themes this item is part of:||Medicine in Society Collection, Science & Measurement Collection, CSL (Commonwealth Serum Laboratories) Collection|
|Primary Classification:||MEDICINE & HEALTH|
|Secondary Classification:||Medical Research|
|Tertiary Classification:||laboratory equipment|
|Manufacturer:||Australian Glass Manufacturers Co Ltd (AGM), Australia, circa 1940|
|User:||CSL Ltd (Commonwealth Serum Laboratories), Parkville, Victoria, Australia, circa 1940|