Similar items over time
Slide Viewer - Tylar, Lanternescope, circa 1891 Reg. No: HT 3685
- Device for direct viewing of standard unmounted slides. This type of lanternescope consisted a viewing box with an adjustable lens in a conical mount, a built-in slide carrier and two ground glass diffusing screens. A lanternescope was mounted on an upright swivel stand with weighted base. This laternescopes is made of mahogany, other models were made of papier mache.
The manufacturer was William Tylar of Birmingham, England.
This lanternescope is part of the Francis Collection of pre-cinematic apparatus and ephemera, acquired by the Australian and Victorian Governments in 1975. David Francis was the curator of the National Film and Sound Archive of the British Film Institute as well as being a co-founder of the Museum of the Moving Image in London, which was operational between 1988 and 1999.
- Rectangular wooden box with a conical brass lens piece mounted on the front. At the rear of the box is an opaque glass plate which can be removed through the top of the box and pulled up with a small circular handle. The wooden box has two open slots (presumably to insert slides) and another open slot on the underside of the object. Mounted on the right side panel is a triangular brass plaque with small brass knob.
- Acquisition Information:
- Loan & Subsequent Donation from Australian Film Institute (AFI)
|Dimensions:||9.5 cm (Height), 10.1 cm (Width), 22.7 cm (Length)|
|Themes this item is part of:||Images & Image Making Collection, Francis Collection|
|Secondary Classification:||Image Viewing Equipment|
|Tertiary Classification:||lantern slide viewers|
|Inscriptions:||On a small plaque on left hand side;
|Manufacturer:||Mr William Tylar - Tylar, England, Great Britain, circa 1891|
|Collector:||Mr David Francis, London, Middlesex, England, Great Britain, 1990|