Photograph - Stars, taken at Mount Stromlo Reg. No: MM 030399
- Melbourne Observatory astronomers Pietro Baracchi and James Baldwin used a 9 inch refracting telescope by Grubb, Dublin, at Mount Stromlo to test the suitability of the site for the establishment of a permanent Commonwealth Solar Observatory. The telescope was donated in 1910 by James Oddie of Ballarat, and hence known colloquially as the 'Oddie Telescope'.
For one week each month from September 1911 to December 1912, Baracchi and Baldwin visited Mt Stromlo to take observations and photographs.
- Description Of Content:
- Star photograph taken at Mount Stromlo
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Victoria: Local Government Department Office of Trade Measurement (formerly Weights & Measures Branch)
|Themes this item is part of:||Melbourne Observatory Collection, Science & Measurement Collection|
|Tertiary Classification:||observational photographs|
|Place Made:||Mount Stromlo Observatory, Mount Stromlo, Australian Capital Territory, Australia|