Where is it from?

Association locations map

Similar items over time

Photograph - Construction of Oddie Dome at Mount Stromlo Observatory, 1911 Image Reg. No: MM 030366

Workers completing the construction of the Oddie telescope dome at Mount Stromlo, 1911.

A 9 inch refracting telescope by Grubb, Dublin, was donated in 1910 by James Oddie of Ballarat, to the Commonwealth Government, for the establishment of the Commonwealth Solar Observatory.

Melbourne Observatory astronomers Pietro Baracchi and James Baldwin used the telescope at Mount Stromlo from September 1911 to September 1912, to test the suitability of the site for the establishment of a permanent observatory.
Description Of Content:
Construction of James Oddie telescope dome at Mount Stromlo Observatory, 1911
Acquisition Information:
Donation from Victoria: Local Government Department Office of Trade Measurement (formerly Weights & Measures Branch)
Discipline: Technology

More information

Tagged with: astronomy, builders, ladders, observatories
Themes this item is part of: Establishing Mount Stromlo Observatory, 1911-1912, Melbourne Observatory Collection, Science & Measurement Collection
Primary Classification: ASTRONOMY
Secondary Classification: Research
Tertiary Classification: observatories
Format: Photograph
Place & Date Depicted: Mount Stromlo Observatory, Mount Stromlo, Australian Capital Territory, Australia, 1911

Add your comment

  • Museum Victoria does not provide valuations, for more information please visit the valuation infosheet
  • Please note that Museum Victoria staff will not normally respond to comments posted on our website.
Yes No