Search the collections
Where is it from?
- A Place & Date Depicted Mt Stromlo, Australia
Similar items over time
Photograph - Construction of Oddie Dome at Mount Stromlo Observatory, 1911 Reg. No: MM 030483
- Workers completing the construction of the Oddie telescope dome at Mount Stromlo, 1911.
A 9 inch refracting telescope by Grubb, Dublin, was donated in 1910 by James Oddie of Ballarat, to the Commonwealth Government, for the establishment of the Commonwealth Solar Observatory.
Melbourne Observatory astronomers Pietro Baracchi and James Baldwin used the telescope at Mount Stromlo from September 1911 to September 1912, to test the suitability of the site for the establishment of a permanent observatory.
- Description Of Content:
- Construction of James Oddie telescope dome at Mount Stromlo Observatory, 1911
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Victoria: Local Government Department Office of Trade Measurement (formerly Weights & Measures Branch)
|Tagged with:||astronomy, builders, ladders, observatories|
|Themes this item is part of:||Establishing Mount Stromlo Observatory, 1911-1912, Melbourne Observatory Collection, Science & Measurement Collection|
|Format:||Photograph: Black & White|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Mount Stromlo Observatory, Mount Stromlo, Australian Capital Territory, Australia, 1911|