Search the collections
Where is it from?
- A Place & Date Made Mt Stromlo, Australia
Similar items over time
Glass Negative - Mount Stromlo Observatory, September 1911 Reg. No: MM 030408
- Melbourne Observatory astronomers Pietro Baracchi and James Baldwin used a 9 inch refracting telescope by Grubb, Dublin, at Mount Stromlo to test the suitability of the site for the establishment of a permanent Commonwealth Solar Observatory. The telescope was donated in 1910 by James Oddie of Ballarat, and hence known colloquially as the 'Oddie Telescope'.
For one week each month from September 1911 to December 1912, Baracchi and Baldwin visited Mt Stromlo to take observations and photographs.
- Description Of Content:
- View of Mount Stromlo Observatory, September 1911, showing rise of mount and surrounding hills and plains.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Victoria: Local Government Department Office of Trade Measurement (formerly Weights & Measures Branch)
|Themes this item is part of:||Establishing Mount Stromlo Observatory, 1911-1912, Melbourne Observatory Collection, Science & Measurement Collection|
|Original Caption:||Negative marked: 1911 Septr Mt Stromlo|
|Format:||Glass Negative: Black & White|
|Place & Date Made:||Mount Stromlo Observatory, Mount Stromlo, Australian Capital Territory, Australia, Sep 1911|