Search the collections
Negative - John Duigan at the Controls of his Biplane, Bendigo Racecourse, Victoria, 3 May 1911 Reg. No: MM 057491
- Photograph of John Robertson Duigan seated at the controls of his biplane, taken during a public demonstration of the aircraft attended by 1,000 people at the Bendigo Racecourse, 3rd May 1911. The photograph was possibly taken by Jophn's brother Reginald Duigan or by a newspaper photographer.
Although French and American flying machines had already flown in Victoria, J.R. Duigan built and flew the first Australian-made flying machine in 1910.
This image taken at the Bendigo Racecourse on 3 May 1911, was published in the Bendigo Advertiser, 4 May 1911, and in the British aviation journal 'Flight' (London), 6th April 1912.
- Glass plate negative copy made from original print by Science Museum of Victoria, circa 1950s-1960s. Identical image to earlier print registered at MM 107190, but cropped slightly around edges.
- Description Of Content:
- John Robertson Duigan seated at the controls of his biplane, built on the family property, 'Spring Plains', Mia Mia, near Heathcote, and first flown on July 1910. This was the first Australian-built aeroplane to fly although John Duigan believed his first true controlled flight took place on 7 October 1910.
|Tagged with:||aeronautics, aero engines, aircraft, aviation, aviation pioneers, biplanes, pilots, aeroplanes, aircraft propellors, experimental aircraft|
|Themes this item is part of:||Pioneering Flights at Diggers Rest, Victoria, Designing & Building the First Australian Aircraft, John Duigan's Military Service, Centenary of Australian Aviation, John Robertson Duigan MC, Pioneering Aviator (1882-1951), Reginald Charles Duigan, Pioneering Aviator & Inventor (1888-1966), Engineering Collection, Transport Collection, Working Life & Trades Collection|
|Primary Classification:||AIR TRANSPORT|
|Secondary Classification:||Pioneering Flights|
|Inscriptions:||Text 'FLIGHT.' printed in bottom right-hand corner.|
|People Depicted:||Duigan, John R.|
|Format:||Negative: Black & White|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Bendigo, Victoria, Australia, 03 May1911
|Person Depicted:||Mr John Duigan, Bendigo, Victoria, Australia, 03 May 1911|
|Maker of Item Depicted:||Mr John Duigan, Mia Mia, Victoria, Australia, 1909-1910|
This item is part of the following themes:
- Pioneering Flights at Diggers Rest, Victoria
- Designing & Building the First Australian Aircraft
- John Duigan's Military Service
- Centenary of Australian Aviation
- John Robertson Duigan MC, Pioneering Aviator (1882-1951)
- Reginald Charles Duigan, Pioneering Aviator & Inventor (1888-1966)
- Engineering Collection
- Transport Collection
- Working Life & Trades Collection