Search the collections
Glass Negative - Visitors Inspecting Huts, Solar Eclipse Expedition, Goondiwindi, Queensland, Sep 1922 Reg. No: MM 030308
- Visitors inspecting the huts and equipment during the Solar Eclipse Expedition, Goondiwindi, Queensland, Sep 1922. The hut of Dr Joseph Baldwin, Victorian Government Astronomer, is on the left.
In 1922, Joseph Baldwin led a Melbourne Observatory solar eclipse expedition to Goondiwindi, Queensland, joining with another group from Sydney Observatory.
The purpose of the expedition was to test Einstein's general theory of relativity. Einstein's theory predicted that the light travelling to us from stars should bend as it passed the Sun, due to the curvature in space-time created by the massive object. A solar eclipse expedition in 1919 had found such a bending of the light, but in 1922 it was still important to undertake confirming observations. The Goondiwindi expedition was not very successful, as they were unable to take sufficiently precise photographs to test the theory.
The US Lick Observatory's group at Wallal, Western Australia, succeeded in making observations that confirmed Einstein's theory.
- Description Of Content:
- Solar eclipse expedition, Goondiwindi, Queensland, September 1922. Expedition led by Joseph Baldwin, Government Astronomer, Melbourne Observatory.
|Themes this item is part of:||Eclipse Expeditions from Melbourne Observatory, Melbourne Observatory Collection, Science & Measurement Collection, Positional Astronomy at Melbourne Observatory, Weights & Measures at Melbourne Observatory, Melbourne Observatory & Standard Time in Victoria, Astrographic Catalogue, Transits of Venus, 1874 & 1882, Buildings at Melbourne Observatory, Star Observations & Personal Equation, Meteorology at Melbourne Observatory, 1863-1908, Melbourne Observatory, 1863-1944, Geodetic Survey of Victoria, 1858-1872|
|Format:||Glass Negative: Black & White|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Goondiwindi, Queensland, Australia, Sep 1922|
|Organiser of Expedition:||Melbourne Observatory, South Yarra, Victoria, Australia, 1922|
This item is part of the following themes:
- Eclipse Expeditions from Melbourne Observatory
- Melbourne Observatory Collection
- Science & Measurement Collection
- Positional Astronomy at Melbourne Observatory
- Weights & Measures at Melbourne Observatory
- Melbourne Observatory & Standard Time in Victoria
- Astrographic Catalogue
- Transits of Venus, 1874 & 1882
- Buildings at Melbourne Observatory
- Star Observations & Personal Equation
- Meteorology at Melbourne Observatory, 1863-1908
- Melbourne Observatory, 1863-1944
- Geodetic Survey of Victoria, 1858-1872