Search the collections
Medal - Victoria Volunteer Forces Long & Efficient Service, Victorian Volunteer Forces, Australia, 1883 Reg. No: NU 34519
- Victorian Volunteer Forces Long Service and Good Conduct medal awarded to A. Geddes in 1883 for 'long and efficient service'. Mint: Stokes & Martin, Melbourne.
The medal was instituted on 26 January 1881 and given royal sanction on 21 April 1882. It was available to officers and men in the Volunteer Forces for 15 years service. Awards to officers ceased in 1894 when the Volunteer Officers Decoration was introduced.
The Victorian Volunteer Forces were the local regiments who undertook the naval and military defence of the colony of Victoria.
- A round silver medal (38 mm. diameter) with ornate mount and ribbon (not original). The obverse features a crowned garter around simplified Southern Cross on a cross; on the garter to motto, AUT PACE . AUT BELLO . VICTORIA (translation - both in peace and in war Victoria); around, LOCAL FORCES VICTORIA. The reverse has the legend: FOR / LONG AND / EFFICIENT / SERVICE. The edge, A. GEDDES _ 1883 .
- Acquisition Information:
- Transfer from National Gallery of Victoria (NGV), 1976
|Dimensions:||118 mm (Height), 39 mm (Width), 38 mm (Diameter)|
|Dimension Comment:||38 * 56 [including ribbon]|
|Tagged with:||australian military forces, colonial military forces, long service awards, -1|
|Themes this item is part of:||Public Life & Institutions Collection, Stokes & Son, Medal Makers, Melbourne, Victoria & Sydney, New South Wales, Victorian Artillery (AKA Royal Victorian Volunteer Artillery Regiment or Permanent Artillery Corps), Victorian Colonial Military, 1854-1901, Alfred Blannin, Victorian Volunteer Military Forces (1842-1889), Victorian Colonial Military Forces Units, 1854-1901, Victorian Volunteer Forces, 1854-1884|
|Secondary Classification:||Military General Service|
|Tertiary Classification:||good conduct|
|Obverse Description:||Crowned garter around simple Southern Cross on cross; on garter, AUT PACE . AUT BELLO . VICTORIA; around, LOCAL FORCES VICTORIA|
|Reverse Description:||FOR / LONG AND / EFFICIENT / SERVICE|
|Edge Description:||A. GEDDES _ 1883|
|Inscriptions:||A. GEDDES _ 1883
AUT PACE . AUT BELLO . VICTORIA LOCAL FORCES VICTORIA
FOR / LONG AND / EFFICIENT / SERVICE
|Shape:||Round and ribbon|
|Issued By:||Victorian Volunteer Forces, 1854-1884, Australia, 1883|
|Mint:||Stokes & Martin (Mint), Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, circa 1882|
|Awarded To:||A. Geddes, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1883|
|References:||The Victoria Volunteer long and efficient service medal and the volunteer officers' decoration / by R.D. Williams|
This item is part of the following themes:
- Public Life & Institutions Collection
- Stokes & Son, Medal Makers, Melbourne, Victoria & Sydney, New South Wales
- Victorian Artillery (AKA Royal Victorian Volunteer Artillery Regiment or Permanent Artillery Corps)
- Victorian Colonial Military, 1854-1901
- Alfred Blannin, Victorian Volunteer Military Forces (1842-1889)
- Victorian Colonial Military Forces Units, 1854-1901
- Victorian Volunteer Forces, 1854-1884