Search the collections
This item is on display at Melbourne Museum
Where is it from?
- A Issued By Melbourne, Australia
Medal - Portrait of John Medley, University of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1940 Reg. No: NU 20294
- Bronze portrait medal of John Medley, Vice-Chancellor, University of Melbourne. Designed by Andor Meszaros and minted in 1940.
Andor Meszaros arrived in Melbourne in 1939, bringing with him European traditions of medals as fine art. He started his Australian career by approaching leading figures in Melbourne's academic, religious and medical communities and offering to sculpt portrait medals with the right of refusal (and non-payment) if they were not satisfied with the results. Out of 50 portraits, only one was rejected. This medal of John Medley was one of his earliest works.
- A cast bronze portrait medal (115 mm diameter) featuring a profile of John Medley by the artist Andor Meszaros.
- Statement Of Significance:
- For over half a century, sculptors Andor (1900-1973) and Michael (1945- ) Meszaros have created medals that reflect the high points of life in Australia. From major awards and portraits of eminent Australians to artwork celebrating popular culture and the natural world, these objects illuminate our culture and history. Grounded in a centuries-old European art tradition, the medals create connections across disciplines and link such diverse subjects as scientific advances, religious themes, sport, the performing arts and motherhood. Through their public and private commissions and their personal artworks, the Meszaros sculptors have defined the modern Australian medal.
- Acquisition Information:
- Transfer from National Gallery of Victoria (NGV), 1976
|Dimensions:||115 mm (Width), 10 mm (Length), 116 mm (Diameter)|
|Dimension Comment:||Width = Diameter|
|Tagged with:||portrait medals, medals|
|Themes this item is part of:||Andor Mészáros, Medal Artist (1900-1972), Public Life & Institutions Collection, Migration Collection, Numismatics & Philately Collection, Meszaros Medals Collection|
|On Display at:||Melbourne Museum|
|Series:||Australian Art Medals|
|Obverse Description:||MELBOURNE UNIVERSITY . JOHN D.C. MEDLEY . VICE-CHANCELLOR. around head of Medley facing left, in the field BEHIND, 1940 / monogram AM|
|Inscriptions:||MELBOURNE UNIVERSITY.JOHN D.C.MEDIEU. VICE-CHANCELLOR. 1940 (monogram AM)|
|Issued By:||University of Melbourne (The), Melbourne, Victoria, Australia|
|Artist:||Andor Mészáros, Australia, 1940|
|Person Depicted:||John Medley - University of Melbourne (The), Australia, 1940|