Search the collections
Where is it from?
- A Place & Date Depicted Merrigum, Australia
Negative - Boy Painting Zebra Stripes on a Horse, Merrigum, Victoria, circa 1910 Reg. No: MM 000128
- Part of the Lilian Louisa Pitts collection. Lilian Pitts photographed, processed and printed her photographs from about 1910. The collection is based on her life in the fruit growing and dairying community of Merrigum, a town west of Shepparton, in the Goulburn Valley. Lilian Pitts was born in 1872, she arrived in Merrigum with her family in 1893 and died in 1947.
This is an image was used in a narrative sequence in an album Pitts created. This photographic narrative sequence was published as 'Tommy Trick's Adventure' in the 'Melbourne Herald' on 1st January 1924, and constituted Lillian's entry in the newspaper's 'Ideal Holiday Competition'. Lilian did not win a prize with her entry. The photographic narrative was later published as 'Merrigum Frank' by Museum Victoria in 1990.
- Description Of Content:
- Frank Stephenson painting zebra lines on a horse. There is a wooden gate and a wire fence in the background.
- Acquisition Information:
- Copied from Frank Pitts, 1985
- The Biggest Family Album of Australia, Museum Victoria
|Tagged with:||children s play, games, horses, humour, leisure, orchards, recreation activities, rural life, polo, blacksmith shops, mt.rouse, mount rouse|
|Themes this item is part of:||Childhood & Youth Collection, Domestic & Community Life Collection, Images & Image Making Collection, Leisure Collection, Sustainable Futures Collection, The Biggest Family Album in Australia Collection|
|Primary Classification:||GAMES & TOYS|
|Secondary Classification:||Play & Childlore|
|People Depicted:||Stephenson, Frank|
|Format:||Negative: Black & White; 35 mm|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Merrigum, Victoria, Australia, 1910|
|Photographer:||Ms Lilian Pitts, 1910|
Melbourne Herald, 1 January 1924, Ideal Holiday Competition
Pitts, Lillian Louisa, 'Merrigum Frank', compiled by Euan McGillivray and Matthew Nickson, Museum of Victoria, South Australia; Griffin Press Limited, 1990.
Cook, Valda Dorothy, 'Unremarkable Women? The Life and Times of Lillian Pitts, Photographer', (Honours Thesis- Monash University), 1992