Search the collections
Negative - 'Camel Train at Wentworth Wharf', Wentworth, New South Wales, circa 1905 Reg. No: MM 004304
- A camel train resting in Wentworth, New South Wales. The image was created by R. W. Martin in circa 1905. An inscription at the bottom reads 'Camel train at Wentworth wharf.'
The camels and their cameleers helped carry supplies inland for the mining and sheep industries, aided the building of the Overland Telegraph Line, the Canning Stock Route, major fence lines and the Trans-Australia and Central Australian railways. They carried pipe sections for the Goldfields Water Supply, supplied goods to inland towns, mining camps, sheep and cattle stations and also Aboriginal communities. Wagons hauled by Camels moved wool from sheep stations to railheads, pulled scoops in the construction of dams, and helped with ploughing and other farm work.
- Black and white negative.
- Description Of Content:
- A camel train resting. The camels are all laden down with packs, and the area in which they rest is shaded by trees. An inscription at the bottom reads 'Camel train at Wentworth Wharf.'.
- Acquisition Information:
- Copied from Bruce Pay, 1987
- The Biggest Family Album of Australia, Museum Victoria
|Tagged with:||camel trains, camels|
|Themes this item is part of:||Muslim Collections at Museum Victoria, Images & Image Making Collection, The Biggest Family Album in Australia Collection|
|Primary Classification:||ROAD TRANSPORT|
|Tertiary Classification:||camel trains|
|Inscriptions:||Printed in white, lower left corner: "CAMEL TRAIN AT WENTWORTH WHARF"|
|Format:||Negative: Black & White; 35 mm|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Wentworth, Riverina, New South Wales, Australia, circa 1905|
|Creator:||R Martin, circa 1905|
http://www.saudiaramcoworld.com/issue/198801/camels.down.under.htm viewed 28.04.2009.
http://camelfarm.com/camels/camels_australia.html, viewed 13.05.2009.
http://library.thinkquest.org/03oct/00128/en/camels/history_light.htm, viewed 13.05.2009.
Stevens, Christine, 'Tin Mosques and Ghantowns : A History of Afghan Cameldrivers in Australia', Paul Fitzsimons: Alice Springs (2002).