Search the collections
Where is it from?
- A Place & Date Depicted Violet Town, Australia
Negative - Violet Town, Victoria, 1912 Reg. No: MM 5196
- Photograph of the family of Mr G. M. Allen, dental surgeon, in front of their home. Mr Allen, who is not in the photograph, had his business plate on the front wall.
Mr Allen achieved notoriety in 1916 when he fell while tackling a struggling girl having her tooth extracted and broke his shoulder blade. He later moved to Toorak (a local woman, Miss Underwood, followed him to train as a dental mechanic) and was succeeded in his practice in 1918 by Mr J. Graham.
A Leonard Allen was a labourer in Violet Town in 1914.
- Description Of Content:
- Photograph of three women and three children in front of a wooden home with picket fence.
- Acquisition Information:
- Copied from Carol Follett, 1987
- The Biggest Family Album of Australia, Museum Victoria
|Tagged with:||dentists, domestic environment, families, gardens, houses, picket fences, signage|
|Themes this item is part of:||Domestic & Community Life Collection, Images & Image Making Collection, The Biggest Family Album in Australia Collection|
|Primary Classification:||DOMESTIC LIFE|
|Secondary Classification:||Residential Buildings|
|People Depicted:||Allen Family|
|Organisations Depicted:||G.M. Allen, Dental Surgeon|
|Format:||Negative: Black & White; 35 mm|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Violet Town, Victoria, Australia, 1912|
|References:||GENERAL ITEMS. (1916, September 21). Shepparton Advertiser (Vic. : 1914 - 1918), p. 1 Edition: EVENING.. Retrieved April 17, 2014, from http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article91192219|