Search the collections
Where is it from?
- A Place & Date Depicted Barwon Heads, Australia
Negative - Boathouses at Barwon Heads, Victoria, circa 1930 Reg. No: MM 6717
- Black and white image of boathouses at Barwon Heads, circa 1930.
The first Barwon Heads boathouses were constructed in the 1880s and were used as dressing sheds.The boathouses were built on land that was located directly on the beach. This land was leased to holidaymakers from 1905, when the Geelong Harbor Trust was established. Originally conceived as recreational buildings, the boathouses were subsequently used as dwellings by holidaymakers. However, the boathouses had no sanitation or plumbing and by the 1920s locals were complaining about their beach becoming a health risk and being used exclusively by non-rate payers instead of being available to locals. By the 1930s there were 61 boathouses on the beach, accommodating several hundred people, and a controversial battle ensued to remove them. By 30 June 1936 all of the boathouses had been removed, most to nearby Ocean Grove, some to other beach resort towns such as Queenscliff and Torquay, and a few to other sites in Barwon Heads.
- Description Of Content:
- A beachscape.There are three boats moored and on the beach (it is low tide) there is a row of 'boathouses' in the background.
- Acquisition Information:
- Copied from Mrs Muriel Williams, 1988
- The Biggest Family Album of Australia, Museum Victoria
|Tagged with:||beaches, boats, houses, holiday resorts, holiday houses|
|Themes this item is part of:||Images & Image Making Collection, The Biggest Family Album in Australia Collection|
|Format:||Negative: Black & White; 35 mm|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Barwon Heads, Victoria, Australia, circa 1930
These boathouses were removed from the beach by 30 June 1936 so this is the latest date possible for the image to have been taken.
|Creator:||Alan Jackson, circa 1930|
Information has been amended July 2010 - see DC enquiry DC ENQ 68433 - BFA Feedback.
http://zades.com.au/gandd/index.php/bellpen/towns2/ogrove/ogboat accessed 9 July 2010. This webpage references Argus - 8th December 1932, Age - 7th December 1932 and Herald - 6th December 1932.
Dr David Rowe, 'The Pleasure Grounds of the Barwon Coast: A History,' Barwon Coast Committee of Management Inc, Barwon Heads, 2002, pp. 29-31.