Search the collections
Where is it from?
- A Place & Date Depicted Melbourne, Australia
Negative - Premises of Allison Undertakers, Carlton, Victoria, circa 1886 Reg. No: MM 8510
- Negative of the premises of Allison Undertakers at 2 Mitford Cots, Pitt Street, Carlton. Allison Undertakers also had premises at 70 Elgin St, between 1886 and 1888.
- Description Of Content:
- A woman standing in the gateway of a house which has a sign reading: 'Allison Undertaker & at 70 Elgin Street'.
- Acquisition Information:
- Copied from Sandra Holdsworth, 1991
- The Biggest Family Album of Australia, Museum Victoria
|Tagged with:||gardens, houses, picket fences, servants, undertakers, death mourning|
|Themes this item is part of:||Domestic & Community Life Collection, Images & Image Making Collection, The Biggest Family Album in Australia Collection|
|Organisations Depicted:||Undertaker Allison Edward William|
|Format:||Negative: Black & White; 35 mm|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Allison Undertakers, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, circa 1886
Signage in the photo suggest two locations for Allison Undertakers. Research indicates the likely location in the photograph as 2 Mitford Cots, Pitt S Carlton. The name Allison is only listed at the other address on the sign: 70 Elgin Steet, between 1886 & 1888. Further research shows that an Edward Williiam Allison died in 1887.
Sands & McDougall's Melboure Directories: 1885, 1886 p.1077, 1888 p.425 & 1889.
Victoria Births Deaths & Marriages https://online.justice.vic.gov.au/bdm/index-search.