Search the collections
Where is it from?
- A Place & Date Depicted Allendale, Australia
Similar items over time
Negative - Horse Team Moving a House from Creswick through Allendale, Victoria, circa 1909 Reg. No: MM 001930
- Black and white negative of a horse team moving a house from Creswick through Allendale, in Victoria about 1905 or 1909.
Goldmining at Creswick was declining and there was less demand for houses in the area, hence the house was being moved. Jim Dempsey is driving the horse teams. Jack Dempsey is at right. Jim Mills is on the pony, Ginger. Jack Dempsey drove horses for the the Mills, and it is likely that the house removal company managing the move in this case was Mills.
- Description Of Content:
- A horse team of about ten horses moving a house. The house is braced by diagonal struts. A number of men and children are sitting on the horse cart, standing in the doorway of the house or standing on the ground at right of the house. A boy is on a pony. Farm land is at left in the background. The house has a bullnose verandah with wrought iron lacework and two windows at the front.
- Acquisition Information:
- Copied from Sandra Rudwick, 1985
- The Biggest Family Album of Australia, Museum Victoria
|Tagged with:||carriages, drays wagons, horses, house removalists, verandahs, workers, -1|
|Themes this item is part of:||Images & Image Making Collection, Sustainable Futures Collection, Transport Collection, The Biggest Family Album in Australia Collection|
|Primary Classification:||DOMESTIC LIFE|
|Secondary Classification:||Residential Buildings|
|Tertiary Classification:||moving house|
|People Depicted:||Dempsey, Jim; Dempsey, Jack; Mills, Jim|
|Format:||Negative: Black & White; 35 mm|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Allendale, Victoria, Australia, circa 1909
Original donor suggested the date was 'about 1909,' but a subsequent researcher seems to have updated the date to circa 1905. After a review of the original donor information the date has been changed back to circa 1909.