Medal Die - Olympic Games Participants, Trial Obverse, Melbourne Olympic Committee, Victoria, Australia, 1956 Reg. No: NU 33493
- Medal Die for a Trial Obverse of the Olympic Participants Medal. it was designed by artist Andor Mészáros and issued by the Melbourne Olympic Committee in 1956.
This is a lead trial struck to test the die for the Melbourne Olympic Participants medals. It depicts the Athletes in pairs marching arund rim led by a single flag-bearer carrying the Olympic flag.
The actual medal struck in bronze was issued to all associated with Games. It was commissioned by the Melbourne Olympic Committee, which was responsible for organising the 1956 Melbourne Olympic Games, including construction of stadiums, athletes' accommodation, press coverage and medal production.
- This is a lead trial struck to test the die for the Melbourne Olympic Participants medals. It depicts the Athletes in pairs marching arund rim led by a single flag-bearer carrying the Olympic flag at centre around which the Olympic motto ALTIUS FORTIUS CITIUS
- Statement Of Significance:
- Australia did not have a developed tradition in medallic art in the inter-war and early post-war period, and Andor Meszaros' sculptures were generally not well-received.1955 was a turning point in his career, however, when he was selected to prepare a medal for the 1956 Olympic Games. His fame spread, and European post-war immigrants brought more appreciation for his work in Australia.
- Acquisition Information:
- Transfer from National Gallery of Victoria (NGV), 1976
|Dimensions:||5 mm (Height), 62 mm (Width), 63 mm (Diameter)|
|Dimension Comment:||Width = diameter|
|Tagged with:||olympic games melbourne 1956, sport, what is the value of this coin|
|Themes this item is part of:||Andor Mészáros, Medal Artist (1900-1972), Leisure Collection, Public Life & Institutions Collection, Melbourne Olympic Committee, Melbourne, Victoria, Migration Collection, Numismatics & Philately Collection, Meszaros Medals Collection|
|Tertiary Classification:||sports prizes|
|Series:||Australian Commemorative Medals|
|Obverse Description:||Athletes in pairs marching around rim led by a single flag-bearer carrying the Olympic flag at centre around which the Olympic motto ALTIUS FORTIUS CITIUS|
|Issued By:||Melbourne Olympic Committee, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1956|
|Artist:||Andor Mészáros, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1956|
|Commissioned By:||Melbourne Olympic Committee|
This item is part of the following themes: