Similar items over time
Medal Die - Olympic Games Participants, Trial Reverse, Melbourne Olympic Committee, Victoria, Australia, 1956 Reg. No: NU 33494
- Medal Die for a Trial Reverse of the Olympic Participants Medal. it was designed by artist Andor Mészáros, minted by K.G.Luke and issued by the Melbourne Olympic Committee in 1956.
This is a lead trial struck to test the die for the Melbourne Olympic Participants medals. It depicts the Arms of the City of Melbourne surmounted by the Olympic rings and a kangaroo.
The actual medal struck in bronze was issued to all associated with Games. It was commissioned by the Melbourne Olympic Committee, which was responsible for organising the 1956 Melbourne Olympic Games, including construction of stadiums, athletes' accommodation, press coverage and medal production.
- This is a lead trial struck to test the die for the Melbourne Olympic Participants medals. It depicts the Arms of the City of Melbourne surmounted by the Olympic rings and a kangaroo; around, OLYMPIC GAMES MELBOURNE / 19 56
- Statement Of Significance:
- Australia did not have a developed tradition in medallic art in the inter-war and early post-war period, and Andor Meszaros' sculptures were generally not well-received.1955 was a turning point in his career, however, when he was selected to prepare a medal for the 1956 Olympic Games. His fame spread, and European post-war immigrants brought more appreciation for his work in Australia.
- Acquisition Information:
- Transfer from National Gallery of Victoria (NGV), 1976
|Dimensions:||5 mm (Height), 63 mm (Width), 63 mm (Diameter)|
|Dimension Comment:||Width = diameter|
|Tagged with:||olympic games melbourne 1956|
|Themes this item is part of:||Andor Mészáros, Medal Artist (1900-1972), K.G. Luke, Medal & Trophy Makers, Melbourne, Victoria, Public Life & Institutions Collection, Melbourne Olympic Committee, Melbourne, Victoria, Leisure Collection, Migration Collection, Numismatics & Philately Collection, Meszaros Medals Collection|
|Series:||Australian Commemorative Medals|
|Obverse Description:||Arms of the City of Melbourne surmounted by the Olympic rings and a kangaroo; around, OLYMPIC GAMES MELBOURNE / 19 56|
|Issued By:||Melbourne Olympic Committee, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1956|
|Mint:||K. G. Luke (Mint), Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1956|
|Artist:||Andor Mészáros, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia|
|Commissioned By:||Melbourne Olympic Committee, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia|
This item is part of the following themes: