Search the collections
Glass Negative - HMVS Nelson, Williamstown, Victoria, Apr 1898 Reg. No: MM 030151
- HMVS Nelson at Williamstown, 24 April 1898. This was the day the ship was sold by the Colony of Victoria, and purchased by Bernard Einerson of Sydney for £2,400. The Nelson had been the training ship of the Victorian Navy since 1867 and was decommissioned in 1891.
Photograph by Thomas Beckett. Part of a collection of glass plate negatives taken by Dr Thomas George Beckett, doctor, pioneering radiologist and amateur photographer between 1891 and 1910. The collection is primarily of Beckett's family, friends, homes, and towns and suburbs where Beckett and his family lived, including Charlton in central Victoria and Northcote & South Yarra, suburbs of Melbourne, Victoria.
- Description Of Content:
- The training ship HMVS Nelson tied up at wharf on the day it was sold at auction.
- Acquisition Information:
- Donation from Mrs Joan Hadden
|Tagged with:||marine transport, sailing vessels, shipping, water transport, wharves|
|Themes this item is part of:||Transport Collection, Dr Thomas George Beckett Collection, Dr Thomas George Beckett (1859-1937)|
|Primary Classification:||WATER TRANSPORT|
|Secondary Classification:||Wind Power - Sailing Vessels|
|Tertiary Classification:||naval vessels - victorian|
|Inscriptions:||Original caption: 'HMS NELSON.'|
|Format:||Glass Negative: Black & White|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Williamstown, Victoria, Australia, 24 Apr 1898|
|Photographer:||Dr Thomas Beckett, Northcote, Victoria, Australia, 24 Apr 1898|
|Ship Depicted:||Victorian Colonial Navy, Williamstown, Victoria, Australia, 24 Apr 1898|