Search the collections
Similar items over time
Glass Negative - Melbourne Electric Supply Co, No.3 Turbo-Alternator Set Curtis Rotor, Richmond, Victoria, May 1910 Reg. No: MM 010398
- Part of a large photographic collection of glass plate and film negatives, photographic prints and photo albums, relating to the development of the electric power supply industry in Victoria, operated by the State Electricity Commission of Victoria (SECV) from 1919 to 1993 and various predecessor private and municipal power supply enterprises dating back to the late 1880s.
- Description Of Content:
- Richmond Power Station construction - Curtis rotor, steam turbine in background.
|Tagged with:||construction sites, electricity, power generation, power stations|
|Themes this item is part of:||Engineering Collection, State Electricity Commission of Victoria (SECV) Collection|
|Primary Classification:||ENERGY TECHNOLOGY|
|Secondary Classification:||Electric Power - Generation|
|Tertiary Classification:||power stations|
|Format:||Glass Negative: Black & White|
|Place & Date Depicted:||Richmond, Victoria, Australia, May 1910
Note: This image is identical to that in photograph MM 121006, although the date recorded for the two images differ by 2 months.
|Organisation Depicted:||Melbourne Electric Supply Co. Ltd Green Street Power Station, Richmond, Victoria, Australia, May 1910|
|Manufacturer of Item Depicted:||The British Thomson Houston Co Ltd (BTH), England, Great Britain, circa 1905
The Curtis steam turbine was a velocity-compounded reaction turbine design patented by the America engineer Charles Gordon Curtis in 1896. It was developed into a commercial design for driving electric generators and alternators by General Electric. The British Thomson-Houston company obtained a licence for the GE Curtis design in 1902 and began producing the design commercially from 1904.
|Manufacturer of Item Depicted:||Brush Electrical Engineering Co Ltd, London, Woolwich & Stafford, England, Great Britain, circa 1911|
|Manufacturer of Item Depicted:||C.A. Parsons & Co, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Northumberland, England, Great Britain, circa 1911|
This item is part of the following themes: